backup tool

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chazb
Level 2
Level 2

backup tool

Post by chazb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Running LM 17, thinking of upgrading to LM 18.3. So the Backup Tool for 17 looks pretty simple except for the destination part,,,,like can put on a usb thumb drive or to a file file I create on the Desktop and call it "backup", or both? Or where should I send it, so I can put the backed up personal files ( bookmarks, text files, and pictures etc. ) onto the new OS?

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Re: backup tool

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:17 pm

The desktop is not a valid backup target. If you format the drive during installation, your desktop with all content is history. Only an external drive is a valid backup target.

Besides that I recommend to simply copy your complete home to the backup drive; don't miss the hidden folders. Too many users have lost their data because of unrecoverable problems with mintBackup.

chazb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chazb » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 pm

Do I need to do anything to the usb drive to make it Linux? Then just copy it to 18.3's home folder, after installation?

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:49 am

The usb drive should be formatted with ext4 (preferred) or ntfs. With a fat32 format ou would not be able to store there files with 4 GB + size.

Return to “Newbie Questions”