Intel Microcode messes up laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kdlm
Level 1
Level 1

Intel Microcode messes up laptop

Post by kdlm » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 pm

I read in these forums that I should install the Intel Microcode because of the processor faults, so I did so from the driver manager in LM 18.2. I have an i5 7200u processor. After the reboot my bluetooth mouse didn't work, the key board backlight wouldn't come on with it's F key and neither would the touch pad. I rebooted into Windows 10 to check them there and then booted back into Linux mint. The backlight keys worked again but bluetooth mouse nor the touchpad would. I'm not sure if that didn't happen when I updated the kernel though. I can't remember if I checked it then.

Using a wired mouse, I removed the mouse and then reconnected to it. It seemed like it was doing nothing, then a while later, the cursor moved rapidly all over the screen catching up on the test movements I've done, and then nothing. I went back into the driver manager to stop using the Intel Microcode but it didn't fix the mouse I was using nor the touch pad. I tried another bluetooth mouse and it worked. I don't know what to do. The Microcode seems to have screwed up my computer even when it's no longer active. What the risk of not using it?

I just went through upgrading my kernel to 4.13.0-26-generic and it's already presenting me with 4.13.0-31.34 as a level 4 with a security icon. I used to love the way Linux Mint just worked for me. Now it's become a pain.

catweazel
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Intel Microcode messes up laptop

Post by catweazel » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:22 am

kdlm wrote:I read in these forums that I should install the Intel Microcode because of the processor faults
There are now posts telling you not to install it.
What the risk of not using it?
Low risk. Someone would have to get code to execute on your machine. If you update your browser you should be fairly safe for now.
I used to love the way Linux Mint just worked for me. Now it's become a pain.
These are exceptional circumstances, and the way Mint works with updates is to help you avoid more mess.
There are no silly questions, but there are silly answers.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Intel Microcode messes up laptop

Post by jimallyn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:51 am

kdlm wrote:I used to love the way Linux Mint just worked for me. Now it's become a pain.
Mint isn't a pain for me, but Intel's buggy processors and buggy "fixes" sure are.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Newbie Questions”