[SOLVED] Networking an External Hard Drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
JadedMonk
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Networking an External Hard Drive

Post by JadedMonk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:44 pm

Forgive me, this is a NETWORKING Topic, but the Button for starting a new thread was NOT AVAILABLE to me; perhaps because I am new to the forums, so I am placing it here.

...that being said, we have a network of 6 computers, 4 of which are running Linux Mint 18.1-Linux Mint 18.3. We have 2 External Hard Drives, one of which is our Primary Storage to be shared between all the Linux Mint computers. I'm the administrator.

Until now, all users have being using ssh to get into the External Hard Drive on the machine that it is connected to. However, this poses a problem when I want to be on the primary machine that the EXT HD is always connected to because the other users on other machines on the network have to have my account username & password, log in to my machine, then access the files on the External Hard Drive.

How could I give other users on other machines on the network access to the External Hard Drive without them having to use my login on ssh? I haven't been able to get NFS to work like I could years ago on Ubuntu for some reason or another, and I'd rather not use Samba, (but I will if I have to).

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by JadedMonk on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JadedMonk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Networking an External Hard Drive

Post by JadedMonk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:40 pm

...as I've had no response yet, perhaps I could simplify this:

In UBUNTU, I would edit the configuration file in the /etc/fstab directory, but there isn't one with Linux Mint. Where is the Linux Mint equivalent?

[UPDATED]
Never mind, I found the file.

Just in case anyone else might want to do this:
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1513

Return to “Newbie Questions”