short password and remote access security

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
re4397

short password and remote access security

Post by re4397 »

I want to know if I use a short password example "0909" on my linuxmint instalation, I will have the chance to have my computer accessed remotely by some intruder?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: short password and remote access security

Post by Cosmo. »

Yes.

The shorter the password, the lesser time is needed to find it out.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

I found http://www.passwordmeter.com/ very handy when compiling passwords. It points out where the weak bits are
Use a mix of upper and lower case characters, numbers and symbols.
To help me remember I use things like car numbers then adding symbols, such as this example [not one of my real passwords]
OT59_rsp% which my link says is 90% and very strong. Not infallible but a good guide.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Secure passwords are long passwords. Forget about using special symbols and other superfluous complications:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/password
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
re4397

Post by re4397 »

linux need a pin to be moreeasy to login all times
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

re4397 wrote:linux need a pin to be moreeasy to login all times
Pin is much too short, so much too insecure.
re4397

Post by re4397 »

Pjotr wrote:
re4397 wrote:linux need a pin to be moreeasy to login all times
Pin is much too short, so much too insecure.
Not if the system have a password for remote access and a pin just for physical login
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If you mean with PIN a 4 digit number: Far too short. That password aka PIN is also the key to get full control over the complete system. It is not only a matter of login in.
re4397

Post by re4397 »

sorry I do not have a good english. But i want somthing like windows 10 pin
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Even a 4 digits PIN can be pretty safe, provided you strictly limit the number of failed tries to 3, after which - 3rd failed attempt at guessing the PIN - the account gets locked and can only be unlocked with root privileges.
As long as users permit an unlimited number of failed login attempts even the longest password can be broken in the end, because you have got all the time in the world to go on trying ... :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
re4397

Post by re4397 »

karlchen wrote:Even a 4 digits PIN can be pretty safe, provided you strictly limit the number of failed tries to 3, after which - 3rd failed attempt at guessing the PIN - the account gets locked and can only be unlocked with root privileges.
As long as users permit an unlimited number of failed login attempts even the longest password can be broken in the end, because you have got all the time in the world to go on trying ... :wink:
How can i configure this?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The old wisdom: Linux is not Windows, especially if it goes about security.

Besides that: Assumed there would be 2 passwords, one for login in (aka PIN) and one for system tasks: We see already now a number of problems, because users have forgotten their password; this happens especially for those users, who use auto-login (btw, why don't you use that?). With dividing the current password request into 2 I predict, that the number of those users will grow quickly.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Pjotr wrote:Secure passwords are long passwords. Forget about using special symbols and other superfluous complications:
You can have a nice big 4096-character password, but if it's just a long string of dictionary words, digits, or uppwer-case letters, it's going to be easy as pie to crack. Brute forcing passwords can be an easy task, but a matter of time. The more varied and longer the password, the longer it will take for a machine to crack; this is why just about everywhere you go, you'll be advised to have a varied password of at least a certain length. But don't just take my word for it; try it yourself.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Termy wrote:
Pjotr wrote:Secure passwords are long passwords. Forget about using special symbols and other superfluous complications:
You can have a nice big 4096-character password, but if it's just a long string of dictionary words, digits, or uppwer-case letters, it's going to be easy as pie to crack. Brute forcing passwords can be an easy task, but a matter of time. The more varied and longer the password, the longer it will take for a machine to crack; this is why just about everywhere you go, you'll be advised to have a varied password of at least a certain length. But don't just take my word for it; try it yourself.
Did you read the link in my previous message?
re4397

Post by re4397 »

I just want that the linuxmint communit add a option to use a pin code to login the system and stay with the root and users passwords. Like windows 10
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

re4397 wrote:I just want that the linuxmint communit add a option to use a pin code to login the system and stay with the root and users passwords. Like windows 10
I appreciate that, but that would be insanely unsafe. Linux is not Windows, for very good reasons, security being one of them. Windows being a big target isn't the only reason it gets mashed so much by hackers. Still, it's Linux, so if you really wanted to, you could log in as root and never be asked for a password. lol It would be foolish though, at least IMO and the opinion of many a Linux user.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

re4397 wrote:I just want that the linuxmint communit add a option to use a pin code to login the system and stay with the root and users passwords. Like windows 10
In this case you are in the wrong board, as this not a support question, but a suggestion. A suggestion, which I would disagree out of the reasons, which I already gave.

Return to “Beginner Questions”