Kernel-Updates - yes or no? [solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pcwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Kernel-Updates - yes or no?

Post by pcwolf »

Cosmo. wrote:
rainerk wrote:But recently I read: Don't change the kernel of a distribution! Install every update, but stay with the kernel which comes initially with a distribution! Stay with the first two numbers: Kernel 4.10 should stay kernel 4.10. Install updates, but only those which don't change these first two numbers.
Where did you read this? There gets much nonsense written in the wild, partially even dangerous.
For a LTS kernel it might be a good choice to stay with it, if there are no special needs to upgrade the kernel, but 4.10 is not a LTS kernel and since some time no longer supported. So regarding 4.10 such an advice (or misunderstanding from your side?) is a really bad idea.
Easylinuxtipsproject -
HOW TO CLEAN LINUX MINT SAFELY -

"First this, however: a Linux Mint version should preferably stick to the kernel series it had on release date, because with that it'll function optimally. Kernel updates should preferably only be minor newer versions within that particular kernel series. With the notable exception of very new hardware, which often needs a newer kernel series in order to work well."

PLENTY of bad ideas to choose from :)
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

pcwolf wrote:Easylinuxtipsproject -
HOW TO CLEAN LINUX MINT SAFELY -

"First this, however: a Linux Mint version should preferably stick to the kernel series it had on release date, because with that it'll function optimally. Kernel updates should preferably only be minor newer versions within that particular kernel series. With the notable exception of very new hardware, which often needs a newer kernel series in order to work well."

PLENTY of bad ideas to choose from :)
I wrote that particular text at the time of Mint 18.1, which still had the LTS kernel series (4.4) by default. Obviously it needs an update, all the more because of the current Meltdown/Spectre crisis. Thanks for alerting me.

--Edit: done:
There's an important exception to this rule, which has to do with security. From Mint 18.2 onward, if you want to have a secure kernel, you'll need to upgrade your kernel to the 4.13 series. Or downgrade it to the 4.4 kernel series. That's because the short-lived kernel series with which Mint 18.2 and 18.3 were released, are no longer being supported.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Yes...I've just installed another one today...4.13.0-32 and all is good. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
pcwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pcwolf »

No problem, Pjotr, I am just a newb finding my way around. I appreciate your tech savvy demonstrated on your many informed posts here on the forum. It is just hard to know which advice to follow. I appreciate your kind acceptance of the spirit of my note.

-Phil
Last edited by pcwolf on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y2k38
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Y2k38 »

I'm not a guru of *nix based system, but it's obvious for me : Kernel updates absolutely neccessary to improve perfomance for some hardware, protect your data, etc...
But also it's a pretty risky action, I should make backup before this kind of update.
As I did just a few days ago.
So, this time exactly some nasty shit happened.
Actually I have 2 displays : first - laptop display, second - external monitor pluged via VGA.
After update laptop display stay dark and does not react for any action. (I guess I will post this question to appropriate topic)
Someone notice some issues with 4.13.0-26 ?
rainerk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rainerk »

I think my question has been answered, thanks to all who commented. I will set this thread solved. My decision: I will follow the development of the kernel. If that one day might stop one of my computers to work, I can roll back to a previous kernel (and to the backup of my data, if necessary) - or I can think about buying a new computer (after using it some 10+ years).

Thanks again!

Rainer

Return to “Newbie Questions”