Not another Mint anti virus question.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Not another Mint anti virus question.

Post by Moem »

My Dutch bank does not require that I use AV; it only requires that I 'make sure that all devices that are used for banking have solid security' and that the software I use is regularly updated.
Zorg dat de geïnstalleerde software op de apparatuur, zoals computer, tablet en/ of smartphone, die u voor het regelen van uw
bankzaken gebruikt, is voorzien van actuele (beveiligings)updates. Geïnstalleerde software is bijvoorbeeld het besturingssysteem en beveiligingsprogramma’s, zoals virusscanner en firewall;
... or in English:
make sure that the installed software on the equipment, such as computer, tablet and / or smartphone, that you have for managing your
banking business is provided with current (security) updates. Installed software is, for example, the operating system and security programs, such as virus scanner and firewall
Not a word about required antivirus software. Just that IF I have it, it needs to be kept up to date. That sounds dangerously close to common sense. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

That seems perfectly reasonable. it is also perfectly reasonable to ask the bank what they are doing to protect YOUR account on their servers. Love is a two-way street!
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

yamahama
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yamahama »

why on earth has your bank not enabled 2FA for online banking? that alone would confound the vast majority of hacking attempts.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

My bank recently made 2FA a requirement, although have had it a while. Tough at first, but well worth the extra effort and is just routine now.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

iampuzzled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iampuzzled »

Guys (and any gals!), thanks for your comments. However, it is well known in the UK banks will look to shift responsibility for hacked bank accounts onto the customer. Santander are particularly keen to shift that responsibility onto the user. Yeah, it is easy to say dont bank with them when they hold your mortgage etc. I agree about the call centre employees but they arent the ones to get involved in the real nitty gritty of fraud \ hacking. I fully understand the point of lessening the chances of any hack, that is why Im asking. I'll investigate the clamav option.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Sometimes authorities and companies (here a bank) request totally wrong and illogical things. This is not solvable, in best case it can be bypassed.

Return to “Newbie Questions”