Linux freezes when battery low!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Linux freezes when battery low!

Post by TheDesigner »

Hello L.M.F Members, hope you're all okey.

Lately i see that the system freezes when the battery is very low 10% or lower, so i have to wait till it get through the normal case, i think something is wrong, if i'm right, how can i fix it?

for your informations i've 64 bits Linux sylvia

Thank you all guys for your efforts, and wish you a great day.

,___The Designer

Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux freezes when battery low!

Post by Petermint »

The battery % display is often not accurate. You could be at 0% and the hardware is switching off. You could also look in the BIOS to see if the BIOS has a setting to force hibernation or equivalent. On my machine with no changes to the BIOS or operating system, LM 18.3 Cinnamon freezes at about 2% or 3%.

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

Never had that happen, So not sure this will help, but I would..
Power Management > on battery > when battery is critically low > (set to) shutdown.

I just mentioned in another thread that in 10+ years of Linux I have never had a single freeze.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner »

looks like there is no solution for it, notice that i've a problem in my battery, no other solution but replacing it, that's what HP warning saids.

Return to “Newbie Questions”