Network 2 Computers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
penguinsgrips
Level 1
Level 1

Network 2 Computers

Post by penguinsgrips » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:28 am

Good Morning,
First let me begin with I am as green as anyone could possibly be in Linux. I have read until my eyelids are sore and still cannot figure how to network my home computers. All my computers are on the same router/modem. They all connect to the internet without problems. They all connect to my wireless printer and print correctly. I am running Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya on 2 of my computers and Windows 8 on another. If someone could give me some help in very layman terms I would be greatly appreciative.

Everything is on Wi-Fi.

All The Best
penguin
All The Best
penguin

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Network 2 Computers

Post by sdibaja » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:14 pm

I suggest you try Syncthing. (https://syncthing.net/)
I first read about it on this blog: https://linuxctl.com/2017/04/syncthing- ... -using-it/

after a few weeks of messing with it I have decided to use it on all of the 5 or 6 computers I maintain.

best of luck!

PS: this is not true networking, it is file sharing.
Caution: if you delete a file on one machine, the copy on the other one is gone too... COPY the file you wish to share, don't Move.

penguinsgrips
Level 1
Level 1

Post by penguinsgrips » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Thanks much. Do you need to install Syncthing on each computer? If so, have you tried it with Windows?

Thanks again
penguin
All The Best
penguin

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Yes, you install it on each computer.
No, I have not tried it on Windows.
I believe everything you need is on the first page of this. https://docs.syncthing.net/intro/getting-started.html
That said, I have fumbled a bit and started over. My Dropbox subscription expires tomorrow, I need to tune it up a bit!

penguinsgrips
Level 1
Level 1

Post by penguinsgrips » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:41 pm

I thank you very much

penguin
All The Best
penguin

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Yes, big thumbs up for syncthing for file sharing, great piece of software.

If you were thinking of remote controlling your PCs, that depends mostly on the desktop environment of the boxes you want to control. On Mate it's 3 clicks to allow remote access. Install remmina on your 'boss' machine and you have the server's Mate desktop on your 'boss' machine's screen. Not sure how Win PCs would fit in, though, but someone here would know, I'm sure.

Return to “Newbie Questions”