Xed Theme: The selected color scheme cannot be installed.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
FridaySky
Level 1
Level 1

Xed Theme: The selected color scheme cannot be installed.

Post by FridaySky » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here and I'm actually extremely new to Linux Mint which is why I am somehow struggling with installing color schemes for Xed.

I have been following this thread to help me get started, but I can't seem to get any of the themes from the mig and gmate working. Every time I have attempted to load the theme files from the Xed editor, this error message pops up: "The selected color scheme cannot be installed."

I can't get any of the downloaded XML files to show up in the list of color schemes on Xed, so I have to manually add the color scheme. However, the default color schemes do show in the list.

I have tried moved these XML files into these following directories, but with no success (the files are in the directories, but Xed won't load them automatically and Xed still gives me the same error message when I try to load them manually):
  • /home/fridaysky/Downloads/Xed-Themes
  • /home/fridaysky/.config/xed/style
  • /home/fridaysky/.local/share/xed/styles
  • /usr/share/gtksourceview-2.0/styles
  • /usr/share/gtksourceview-3.0/styles
To clarify, yes I have used tons of Google and I did use a bunch of sudo commands to move the files into those system directories. And finally, I did attempt to reinstall Xed; this process was mostly successful, but I ran into some errors with exit status 1.

To be specific, the themes I have tried are desert, Monokai, vibrantink, and zenburn.

I'm really huge on aesthetics, so it is one of my must-have's to use different color schemes for different programming languages. I would like to avoid reinstalling the OS because I already have downloaded a bunch of different applications through Synaptic. Downloading and installing them all again would really take a toll on me :(

Any guidance would be really helpful. It pains me to admit this, but I may or may not have spent at least an hour on this issue.

the_hermit
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Xed Theme: The selected color scheme cannot be installed.

Post by the_hermit » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi, FridaySky
  • Find the color scheme you want in the xml format (I guess you already did it, right?);
  • Save it with the .xml extension;
  • Open Xed --> Preferences --> Font & Colors tab --> Add... --> select your theme --> voilà
I hope it helps you!
----------the_hermit----------

Return to “Newbie Questions”