backup questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
chazb
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:56 am
Location: Oklahoma

backup questions

Post by chazb » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:17 pm

I have read on this forum that I need to backup the Home Folder before I install LM18.3. But thinking about, I am wondering what it is be sides my personal stuff pictures etc., that needs to be backed-up as well, that 18.3 won't already have in its home Folder?

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10598
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: backup questions

Post by WharfRat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 am

chazb wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:17 pm
I have read on this forum that I need to backup the Home Folder before I install LM18.3. But thinking about, I am wondering what it is be sides my personal stuff pictures etc., that needs to be backed-up as well, that 18.3 won't already have in its home Folder?
All you need to backup is your personal stuff and possibly thunderbird emails if you use it etc.
Image ImageImage

User avatar
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Re: backup questions

Post by ganamant » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 am

You will also ned to back up configuration files: they usually are hidden files (their name starts with a dot) or files inside of hidden directories, such as '~/.config'. They contain options and configurations for your programs. When you restore, however, the old files could conflict with newer versions of the same program, so you'll have to be careful not to blindly restore everything, and to make a copy of the fresh files from after the new installation before you overwrite them with the version from the backup, in case you want to undo the restoration. The same approach goes for the /etc directory.

chazb
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:56 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: backup questions

Post by chazb » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 pm

ganamant wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 am
You will also ned to back up configuration files: they usually are hidden files (their name starts with a dot) or files inside of hidden directories, such as '~/.config'. They contain options and configurations for your programs. When you restore, however, the old files could conflict with newer versions of the same program, so you'll have to be careful not to blindly restore everything, and to make a copy of the fresh files from after the new installation before you overwrite them with the version from the backup, in case you want to undo the restoration. The same approach goes for the /etc directory.
So then it might be wise to create two backups; One with my personal stuff plus Thunderbird? And one with the hidden .config folder and/or any other hidden files, so
I could compare them to the the New Hidden file , thus avoiding any conflicts, assuming I know what I am doing, which I don't.

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 12057
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: backup questions

Post by austin.texas » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 pm

Yes, backup all your .hidden files and folders. That will include the Thunderbird emails and configuration, as well as any special configuration you have for programs such as GIMP, vlc, LibreOffice, etc.
As mentioned, replace those carefully to test, after backing up the new configuration files in case you want to revert to those.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

jglen490
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: backup questions

Post by jglen490 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Assuming a single user machine, just backup everything in the home directory. If you have more than one user, you can backup each one separately if you want, going down within home to each user's folder. It's entirely your choice ... but do backup periodically even if you're not doing an upgrade. It helps when hardware goes south.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

User avatar
Termy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: backup questions

Post by Termy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:11 pm

You need only back up your entire HOME directory if you actually care to keep it all.

HOME typically holds a great many user-specific settings; that is, settings for programs which only affect the current user who owns the HOME directory. This tends to include your (local) mail and its settings (as mentioned), your browsing history, cache, saved form entries, cookies, and more. You may even find various themes you've installed, such as for window styles and your mouse cursor. You'll find cache for things like thumbnails, as well. I just ignore ~/.cache and ~/.thumbnails.

So, whether you should back all that up is entirely up to you. I think everybody should back up their data, but I'm not everyone. :P

By the way, I wrote a fairly simple terminal-focused backup shell program a while ago, which I use very regularly and ensures my HOME data is backed up, safe and sound, without the needless chaff (such as in ~/.cache). It's over here if you wanted to check it out. It's in the process of being made more user-friendly.

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 12057
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: backup questions

Post by austin.texas » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Termy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:11 pm
By the way, I wrote a fairly simple terminal-focused backup shell program a while ago, which I use very regularly and ensures my HOME data is backed up, safe and sound, without the needless chaff (such as in ~/.cache). It's over here if you wanted to check it out. It's in the process of being made more user-friendly.
I have been using some simpler scripts to backup and restore my configuration.
They worked great to move my configuration from Mint 18.2 to a fresh installation of 18.3 There was very little config to do after running the scripts.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=257101&p=1387303#p1387303
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

User avatar
Termy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: backup questions

Post by Termy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Looks alright, however, backmeup isn't quite the same thing. It backs up the file's metadata as well, such as the permissions, regardless of the file system on which the archives sit, because they're archived. To each their own, I guess. (it's also written to be configurable)

User avatar
Jim Hauser
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:08 pm
Location: Pascagoula, Mississippi

Re: backup questions

Post by Jim Hauser » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:09 am

My policy is to copy everything in my Home folder once per week onto two separate drives and an external drive every two weeks. This is done along with the regular image backups. That way I can pick and choose files off of the Home copy as needed for a new install. This copying includes all hidden folders and files.

User avatar
sdibaja
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Baja California, Mexico

Re: backup questions

Post by sdibaja » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 am

I use LuckyBackup. Lots of redundancy, scheduled and automated.
Occasionally I also clone my OS partitions onto an external drive with Gparted.
Peter

User avatar
Termy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: backup questions

Post by Termy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:20 am

Jim Hauser wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:09 am
My policy is to copy everything in my Home folder once per week onto two separate drives and an external drive every two weeks. This is done along with the regular image backups. That way I can pick and choose files off of the Home copy as needed for a new install. This copying includes all hidden folders and files.
I have a similar approach, but not so strict on the when, anymore. I do an image backup (CloneZilla) every so often, and I regularly back up my HOME; these locations are two different drives, so it's effectively 3 copies of my system's main setup. I then have a whole lot on GitHub, so I have quite a few choice to pick from. I'd need a lot of drives to back up all of my data though. :?

User avatar
sammiev
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: backup questions

Post by sammiev » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:38 am

sdibaja wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 am
I use LuckyBackup. Lots of redundancy, scheduled and automated.
Occasionally I also clone my OS partitions onto an external drive with Gparted.
LuckyBackup just keeps on going, been using it for many years and it just works.

chazb
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:56 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: backup questions

Post by chazb » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Termy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:11 pm
You need only back up your entire HOME directory if you actually care to keep it all.

HOME typically holds a great many user-specific settings; that is, settings for programs which only affect the current user who owns the HOME directory. This tends to include your (local) mail and its settings (as mentioned), your browsing history, cache, saved form entries, cookies, and more. You may even find various themes you've installed, such as for window styles and your mouse cursor. You'll find cache for things like thumbnails, as well. I just ignore ~/.cache and ~/.thumbnails.

So, whether you should back all that up is entirely up to you. I think everybody should back up their data, but I'm not everyone. :P

By the way, I wrote a fairly simple terminal-focused backup shell program a while ago, which I use very regularly and ensures my HOME data is backed up, safe and sound, without the needless chaff (such as in ~/.cache). It's over here if you wanted to check it out. It's in the process of being made more user-friendly.
All right i am going for a basic understanding here that when I install LM 18.3 its Home directory will be sort of empty and I fill it with LM 17.3's Home directory?
Last edited by chazb on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Termy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: backup questions

Post by Termy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Essentially, yes. Rememebr to keep those backed up files in-case it doesn't work out with a particular program or something.

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 12057
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: backup questions

Post by austin.texas » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:43 pm

chazb wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:11 pm
All right i am going for a basic understanding here that when I install LM 18.3 its Home directory will be sort of empty and I fill it with LM 17.3's Home directory?
It is not really empty - it has your basic folders and some configuration files.
Here is a brand new user, guest:
Image
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

chazb
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:56 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: backup questions

Post by chazb » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Ok, I am starting to get a little frustrated, but I will get it sorted out eventually. I am noe firm;y convinced that I need to backup my entire Home folder. So I went to my browser in search of a "howto" install my backups. And ran across a "thing" about perhaps backing up part of an Aptitude List (am now lost again).

1. So exactly what is it besides my home folder that t,,,, need to do,,,,,,or back up ,,,,or something else,,,, from Lm 17.3, before I install the new OS?

2. How do I install the back ups,and Aptitudes, once Lm 18.3 is up and running?

3. Am going to have to re-configure my printer in the new OS?

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oologah, OK
Contact:

Re: backup questions

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:32 pm

I think you can solve your problem in one fell swoop.


SystemBack....

that will make a backup of your entire Home Folder

Image


Add in Timeshift and you have it all taken care of.
ASUS TP500LA __ 4.13.0-26 Cinnamon 3.6.7 Mint 18.3 Sylvia

User avatar
Jim Hauser
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:08 pm
Location: Pascagoula, Mississippi

Re: backup questions

Post by Jim Hauser » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:49 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:32 pm
I think you can solve your problem in one fell swoop.


SystemBack....

that will make a backup of your entire Home Folder

Image


Add in Timeshift and you have it all taken care of.
Do either of these methods allow you to restore just one or two files as needed or do they restore everything? (or both...) If so then I need to check them out. For my backups I use an image backup (Redo for LVM stripes) and I also copy every file in my Home folder with Dolphin. My image backup can restore a completely trashed system and my file copy can restore individual files and provide something for a new install.

User avatar
Termy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: backup questions

Post by Termy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:46 am

I worked on (bug fixes and simplified setup) backmeup last night, just in-case you found it useful. Quite pleased with the results. I'm guessing you're more interested in a GUI solution, which is fine. Backmeup, however, also allows you to restore individual files, since it's just a compressed tar archive, (keeps file metadata, which is important) which you can open with a GUI or via the terminal. I'm guessing SystemBack and similar programs also use archives, or copy using rsync, which allows for individual file recovery.

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”