Bios

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
amphib
Level 1
Level 1

Bios

Post by amphib » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:22 am

I am running Mint on a Toshiba laptop. There is no Windows on my machine whatsoever. I would like to flash the bios with an update. However, looking at the bios update site for toshiba, it appears to us a windows-based program to achieve this. Any suggestions?

thx-1138
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Bios

Post by thx-1138 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:27 am

amphib wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:22 am
Any suggestions?
Yes.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:50 am

It might be possible using one of the techniques outlined heret

I used the second method last week to update this desktop :wink:
Image ImageImage

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Post by jimallyn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:18 pm

I will second using the Hirens CD. It has a mini-XP in it. I had to update the BIOS on a laptop for a friend, Windows would no longer run at all, and I had already installed Mint on it. Booted from the Hirens CD, went to the mini-XP, and brought in the BIOS update from a USB stick. Worked fine.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Newbie Questions”