linux mint 18.3 and DUAL PCI serial ports

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
reltek
Level 1
Level 1

linux mint 18.3 and DUAL PCI serial ports

Post by reltek » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:06 am

I downloaded the latest and the greatest Linux Mint 18.3 KDE 64BIT version. Everything was great until I needed to use my PCI DUAL Serial Port card for serial communication. No matter what I do, it just simply doesn't work. I followed the steps in the PCI card manufacturer manual for installing LINUX driver. Linux Mint 18.3 KDE won't let my program use the serial ports.

I did the lspci -v terminal command and found out that the system does see the DUAL PCI Serial Port card and according to the manufacturer you just have to apply SUDO SETSERIAL /dev/ttyS0 uart 16550A. Then, my program should be able to communicate through the PCI serial card, but nothing. I've done everything possible like switching the port around and serial port cable, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.....

The reason this doesn't make sense to me is that on the old Linux Mint all this worked.

Anyone has any idea...

Seadreamer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: linux mint 18.3 and DUAL PCI serial ports

Post by Seadreamer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:50 pm

I assume you are referring to the old 9 pin serial RS-232 port. I haven't seen one in years. Is it possible that Linux Mint 18.3 KDE doesn't recognize the device you are connecting to. If it finds the ports maybe it needs a driver for the device. Sorry I can't be more help.
It's good to get out of your mothers basement occasionally.

Return to “Newbie Questions”