Trash Nanagement

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chazb
Level 2
Level 2

Trash Nanagement

Post by chazb » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:55 pm

As Root and Sudo it is possible to delete, or in Software Sources, Permanently Remove, stuff you will never see again. Is there a way to get all this possible damage into the Trash Folder?

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Trash Nanagement

Post by Termy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm

When you delete things, they're deleted. Your step thereafter, would be to try data recovery tools like testdisk. The "Trash" is the stage before files are actually deleted. This is why you must always take great care with your data, on any system, regardless of OS, but in Linux, especially when you have root access.

Hoser Rob
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Honestly if you need to ask such a question you should not ever log in as root. That's why Ubuntu and Mint, which are meant to be friendly to novices, don't set one by default when you install whereas ones for more expert users like Arch and Debian do set one. You can really trash your OS logged in as root if you don't know what you're doing, and since Linux and Unix assume a root user does, there'll be no warnings.

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 pm
That's why Ubuntu and Mint, which are meant to be friendly to novices, don't set one by default when you install
To clarify, for the OP: the root password is locked, thus the root account is effectively but not entirely disabled -- there are still ways you can log in as the root user, at least for the most part.

chazb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chazb » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 pm
Honestly if you need to ask such a question you should not ever log in as root. That's why Ubuntu and Mint, which are meant to be friendly to novices, don't set one by default when you install whereas ones for more expert users like Arch and Debian do set one. You can really trash your OS logged in as root if you don't know what you're doing, and since Linux and Unix assume a root user does, there'll be no warnings.
Well I tend not to use Root for just the reasons you describe, mostly though to open locked files and then I am very careful what I do there. I have on the other hand solved the delete problem. The Trash Folder has a box I can uncheck in its settings whick changes the dropdown list from Delete to Move to trash. This does nothing for Remove Permanently in the Software Sources Folder, which can be had using Sudo.

Return to “Newbie Questions”