[Solved] Lost all power options Sarah 18 menu, logoff only action

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Peterjack
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Lost all power options Sarah 18 menu, logoff only action

Post by Peterjack » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi all- whatever I did I was consistent, both Mint 18 Sarah XFCE installs now have no menu power function options. The power icon only logs me off. Once logged off I can then access the power options from the login screen power icon, but where did they go? More importantly, how can I put them back? I have searched quite a bit, but have not found anything specific to fit this issue/this program version.
Last edited by Peterjack on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLMAC
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lost all power options Sarah 18 menu, logoff only action

Post by TLMAC » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Peterjack:

If I understand you correctly, your searching for the Actions Buttons to perform "Log Out, Restart, Shut Down, etc.".

If you user name doesn't appear in your panel, simply right click on the panel and select "panel - add new items". Then select "Action Buttons" and hit the "Add button". This will add your user name to your panel, which includes the system action buttons.

The system actions are selectable by right clicking on your user name and select "Properties/Actions/Visible Action". If any actions in that list are not checked, they will not appear in the drop down menu. To view/use the drop down menu, simply left click one time on your user name in the panel.

* If you wish to add it to your whisker menu, you'll need to use your "settings/menu editor" to add it to the bottom. Here's an example how to edit your menu.
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1504

Hope this helps.
Mac

Peterjack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peterjack » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:37 pm

@TLMAC Thank you, just about solved but one last question regarding the third option- the buttons I needed are now in my panel per your instructions #1 and #2 and that's good enough to add solved. However, they are not in the Mint Logo (similar to Win Start) menu where they were- is this the "whisker" menu you mention in instruction #3? Thanks much already! -Pete

TLMAC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TLMAC » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:36 pm

Did you use the session menu (drop down from your user name) or the action buttons - as selected in the General/Appearance section of the action buttons properties menu? Hopefully, you used the session menu instead of cluttering up you panel with individual buttons (unless of course you prefer that).

I'm assuming (bad word) you haven't changed out your start menu. You can check, by simply right clicking on your start menu icon and selecting "properties" from the popup menu. This should tell you which menu your using. If it's not the XFCE Whisker menu, I'd suggest you do a search for the menu you using and how to edit it.

I use the Whisker menu, but it's not my fav to edit. The site I posted does help (quite a bit) to understand the edit process and how to use it. When considering where these functions are located, I don't think it matters if it's in the panel or menu. Personally, I like it in the panel for specific access. Plus, it can be "easily" edited (from the action list) to utilize only the action functions I prefer.

Hope This Helps
GOOD LUCK
Mac

* I would pass on one helpful hint (given to me years ago): Purchase or find (LOL) a spare HDD and use it to learn and beta test with - still use mine to this day. This assures one doesn't crash their primary drive while learning Linux or testing packages/distros/etc. I can't tell you how many times I crashed my system when learning about Linux. By utilizing a separate drive (for tinkering, learning and testing) my primary stays fully functional.
Always remember - It's Not Windows and don't give up, just keep learning.

Peterjack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peterjack » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:27 pm

@TLMAC Yes, a spare drive would be nice, or at least implement my installed TimeShift to a new USB stick! Gotta get one! I was following a series of "completely safe" steps to make it faster on this older Celeron laptop and uninstalling the xorg-intel-video driver in favor of modeset was NOT safe, failed boot! Oh well, I learned how to use the recovery console and CTRL+ALT+F2 features, love learning.

Anyhow, yes I decided on action "buttons", my preference I guess and I'll skip editing the Whisker Menu- and it is the Whisker Menu I checked- and mark this solved. THANKS for dead-on advice, love this community! -Pete

Return to “Newbie Questions”