Screen goes black

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
cpergiel
Level 2
Level 2

Screen goes black

Post by cpergiel » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 am

Move the mouse on my sleeping computer and the screen lights up for a split-second and then it goes black. Neither mousing nor keyboarding has any effect. Turn the monitor off and then back on and the computer wakes up and the screen comes to life. This only started a couple of days ago. I'm going to do an update. I just thought I should mention it on account of it being so weird.

Monday, 9AM. It's getting worse. Had to cycle power to the display twice to get it stay alive.

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Screen goes black

Post by tovian » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:13 pm

cpergiel wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 am
Monday, 9AM. It's getting worse. Had to cycle power to the display twice to get it stay alive.
That sounds awfully like a hardware problem that is getting worse. If you have access to another monitor you might try putting a different monitor on that computer for a while - just to observe any differences in behavior. And, in a perfect world, you could also try the monitor that is acting up on a different computer to observe how it behaves with a new "partner".
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"
"We're just the guys to do it.”

Animal House

cpergiel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cpergiel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:03 am

Thank you. I've been thinking about it, a little, and I think you are probably right. A machine sits on your desk and you use it daily and you kind of forget how long it's been there. 4K monitors are affordable now, except what kind of a computer would I need to drive it? I think I'm gonna post this on my blog.

Posted: Fast Forward https://pergelator.blogspot.com/2018/02 ... rward.html
Last edited by cpergiel on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asinoro » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:30 am

You don’t need to answer, just to check if it is the same behavior from live usb. The live usb is a testing tool for many cases.

cpergiel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cpergiel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 am

I only fall back to a flash drive when the hard disk won't cooperate, or it's a new system, which might be happening soon. You hear that, System? You might be on the way out. If you aren't ready for the recycling bin you need to suck it up and get with the program. That is all.

richlion2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richlion2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:40 am

cpergiel wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 am
Move the mouse on my sleeping computer and the screen lights up for a split-second and then it goes black. Neither mousing nor keyboarding has any effect. Turn the monitor off and then back on and the computer wakes up and the screen comes to life. This only started a couple of days ago. I'm going to do an update. I just thought I should mention it on account of it being so weird.

You are not the only one. I have various laptops and PC's and some are having the same issues - I have AMD procs, Nvidia cards, Intel, etc. I normally disable the screen saver, but still use the power mode to switch my screen off after XXX minutes. When the computers sit idle (or I don't do anything) for a very long period (like several hours) of time the screen is blank and there is no response to mouse nor keyboard. CTRL+BKSPACE doesn't help, CTRL-ALT -DEL doesn't help. In my humble view this has happened after all the recent updates. When I navigate often and my screen is active there is no problem. Maybe there is something wrong (or hopefully was) with the power module that controls the monitor sleep mode. I too hope this will go away after several updates.

The best way to replicate this is let the screen go off and leave the machine over night and check in the morning. That's when I had to make a hard power off/power on.

I just though I'd mention this.

Richard

cpergiel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cpergiel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:55 am

Problem got worse and worse. Finally got so bad I was forced to take action. Switched out the monitor and now all is well, so it was a hardware issue after all.

cpergiel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cpergiel » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:38 pm

It turns out it was a hardware problem. I got by for a week by cycling the power on the display a couple of times, but when it got up to five and the screen was still flickering I decided it was time to take drastic action, like pull out another monitor and plug it in.That fixed the problem.

But now I have a larg-ish screen with a tiny little problem. I could try and repair it, but I know how those kind of projects go (it will sit on the shelf for ten years). I should just send it to the recycler, but that is really hard to do.

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:25 am

cpergiel wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:38 pm
I could try and repair it...
I think most hardware - definitely monitors - are designed to be discarded rather than repaired. Minute by minute the technology (inside the monitor) becomes further from current. Try the repair if you simply like the challenge, but don't wager your fortune on the outcome. And, if Murphy is sill around, as soon as you get the failing part fixed something else will fail. All of the internal components are manufactured to have "roughly" the same life-span (they don't put 20-year parts along side 4-year parts).

As long as you have the original problem identified and mitigated you're back in the game.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"

Animal House

BG405
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BG405 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Sounds like it is CCFL-lit & the backlight has burnt out, it happened to one of mine recently. You can prove this by connecting it & shining a light on the screen; you should be able to see something.
Whilst the CCFLs can with little doubt be replaced, I'm not sure where you'd get the tubes from or what they'd cost.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - LM17.3 Xfce 32---------------------K7S5A Athlon 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:54 pm

BG405 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:10 pm
Sounds like it is CCFL-lit & the backlight has burnt out...
Whilst the CCFLs can with little doubt be replaced...
If you have an actual CCFL bulb - and not an LED strip - you MIGHT be able to replace it. But, if that's anything like the old back-light bulbs for laptops (10-20 years ago), it is a VERY difficult job. The bulbs are long (width of screen) and barely larger than a pencil lead - and have to be soldered to the leads "in place". They are extremely fragile. The last time I replaced one in a laptop my partner and I ordered 6 bulbs and broke 5 before we managed to get the LAST ONE soldered in correctly. I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN !!

Be sure to do some very thorough homework on this BEFORE you start any repair.

Animal House

Return to “Newbie Questions”