slingplayer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
monsterman
Level 1
Level 1

slingplayer

Post by monsterman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:41 am

how do i make slingplayer work in WINE ?????

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: slingplayer

Post by Mute Ant » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 am

"How do i make SlingPlayer [version?] work in Wine [version?] under Mint [version?]. It might never work with the particular versions that you are using...
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=14848
...the 'Show all tests' button on that page suggests it has been occasionally-nearly-working through several versions of Ubuntu and Wine. Not a Gold combination anywhere.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

monsterman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by monsterman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:29 am

thanks Ant I will keep trying

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi monsterman,

Although the Linux Wine system is very innovative and works very well for some things, it does represent a security risk. I try to avoid using Wine.

I am not familiar with this player, is this for Sling TV or something else?

Can't you view the programming through a browser?
Slingbox.com - Slingplayer Apps
http://www.slingbox.com/Products/SlingplayerApps.aspx

Tip: some websites may require using a browser "user agent switcher" because of their antiquated design (or worse purposely), does not recognize Linux and certain browsers. These "user agent switcher" browser extension add-ons basically tell a website that you are using a different computer operating system and browser than the one you are actually using. For example, you can be using Linux Mint with Firefox and tell the user agent to inform websites that you are using MS Windows OS and Internet Explorer or Edge browsers, or Android and some browser, etc... Google Chrome and other Chromium based browsers seem to work better for streaming TV.

Using a hardware device like a smart TV or Blu-Ray player, TV stick or Box, even some game consoles will work well for this; check for this particular application though. And, depending upon the smartphone or other device (computer and its OS) you can mirror or cast whatever is playing to your smart devices.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:11 pm

By "Slingplayer", are you talking about the box that re-broadcasts your cable &/or media over the internet so that you can watch it elsewhere, or are you referring to the newer SlingTV, where you get a streaming TV connection of several channels over the internet?

If you're talking about the first, the best way I've found to make it work is as follows:

1. Open a text editor (KATE, Gedit, Xed, Leafpad, etc)
2. Inside the editor, paste the following exactly as shown:

Code: Select all

<html>
<body>
<iframe width='768' height='800' src='http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php' frameborder='0'></iframe>
</body>
</html>
3. Save the file as "Slingplayer.html", and place it somewhere convenient for you.

When you double-click or open this file in your browser, you'll be connected to Sling's web interface. From there, you can log into your SlingBox & watch your cable &/or media to your heart's content. You can even bring up your remote - - assuming your SlingBox is set up properly for the service you have. [note: you will need Flash for this to work properly]

If you're talking about the second (SlingTV), I'm afraid I've got no clue. I don't have the service, so can't really be sure how you can use it in Mint.

monsterman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by monsterman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 pm

hi thanks for the replies

I have a slingbox in UK which i connect to when oevrseas ,, the browser plugins for firefox , chrome etc are no longer operated by slingplayer ,, you have to use their desk top portal software which is a shame
i will try the suggestions mentioned other wis e i will have to get a win 7 partition just for tv when travelling

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:22 pm

monsterman wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 pm
hi thanks for the replies

I have a slingbox in UK which i connect to when oevrseas ,, the browser plugins for firefox , chrome etc are no longer operated by slingplayer ,, you have to use their desk top portal software which is a shame
i will try the suggestions mentioned other wis e i will have to get a win 7 partition just for tv when travelling
I can verify that the method I mentioned above will work. You will need to get Adobe Flash (if you don't already have it) to make it function. You'll also need to - - at least temporarily - - unblock "dangerous" content when you launch the Slingplayer.html file. (You can turn it back on as soon as you've logged in, though)

1. Goto https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions
2. Choose Linux as your operating system - either 32 or 64 bit, depending on what you have installed
3. Choose the "apt" version for Ubuntu. Install it.
4. Create the Slingplayer.html file as I indicated above
5. Open your Firefox "plugins" and locate the "Shockwave Flash" entry. Select Preferences
6. There is a checkbox that says "Block dangerous and intrusive Flash content". You'll have to temporarily UN-check it in order to connect to your SlingBox.
7. Launch the Slingplayer.html file. It'll probably ask you whether you want to activate Flash for this page - - do so.
8. Login to your SlingBox
9. You can now re-check that "dangerous & intrusive" box in your plugins settings.

Just verified it works on Sylvia 18.3 XFCE. :) Hope it works as well for you!
activate.jpg
slingplayer.jpg
EDIT: If you have Google Chrome installed and use it instead, you won't have to deal with the "Block Dangerous Content" checkbox - - it works without changing that setting.

kwarren43562
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwarren43562 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:27 pm

The above solution only works for *some* slingbox models. About half of them do not support html streaming (to flash).
I happen to have one that doesn't, i believe the m2. I've had no success making it work with wine. There is an android version, but it crashes *often* when run through emulators / vms. I've also tried all the remote desktop and/or vm solutions I could think to try, they all end up being major memory hogs and extremely poor performers - laggy video and audio. Where I live out cable company includes a streaming service, but it is also flash based, and often doesn't work, especially on linux. I'd carefully choose a slingbox model that supports the web streaming, or try to build your own. There are quite a few hdmi capture devices for cheap, I guess you would also have to pair it with an rfid blaster though. you may possibly end up with $100 worth of weird components that don't do exactly what you want.

I would on about a yearly basis post to the sling support forum asking them to make a linux version of the player. They did not, and they also shut down the forum - made it read only, and eliminated many of the sections. They are probably more interested in getting people to sign up for their sling tv subscriptions.

I kind of can't believe no one has reverse engineered the player, it can't possibly be that complicated. There may not be that many people interested in this.

Return to “Newbie Questions”