<SOLVED> uBlock Origin and NoScript: Where to get them?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ablebaker
Level 3
Level 3

<SOLVED> uBlock Origin and NoScript: Where to get them?

Post by ablebaker »

I'm using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and would like to install uBlock Origin and NoScript to enhance computer security. These two apps are frequently mentioned/recommended by Mint Forum posters, so that's my reason for choosing them.

Mint's Software Manager shows "Xul-ext-ublock-origin" but nothing for NoScript, so I assume I'm to use the Firefox Add-ons Manager as the download source. Is this correct? The Firefox Add-ons Manager also lists "NoScript Security Suite." Is that the right one to install?

In addition to the question about where to get them, any guidance for using the two apps would be welcome as well.

Thank you for your continuing help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: uBlock Origin and NoScript: Where to get them?

Post by Moem »

Those are browser add-ons. You get them though the add-on manager of your browser, like you assumed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi @ablebaker,
Yes many here, including myself use both these.
There will be a taming period with noscript as it learns your preferred permissions.

In most browsers press Ctrl+Shift+A then search for the add-on by name.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

uBlock Rrigin is easy, Noscript definitely isn't. I'd suggest looking up some noscript guides.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

ablebaker wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm The Firefox Add-ons Manager also lists "NoScript Security Suite." Is that the right one to install?
Yes. After installation look at NoScript under Add Ons chose Option mark all defaults and switch to Not Trusted.
If done look for "mozilla" and "noscript" and mark them as Trusted. Now you can decide from case to case to allow JavaScript or not. In doubt, you just choose Temporary - the switch on the far right ...
ablebaker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ablebaker »

Thanks to all who replied. I'm very grateful to this forum community for the help provided.

I've got the two apps installed. I especially appreciate the guidance from absque fenestris re NoScript settings. I was having difficulty using some sites after NoScript's installation and running it in the default mode without any tweaking, so absque fenestris' suggestions may help in that regard.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: <SOLVED> uBlock Origin and NoScript: Where to get them?

Post by AZgl1800 »

NoScript can be a PITA, especially with banking institutions.

I finally took it off as being too much of a nuisance.

I am now using only uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

For banking, payments, purchases, etc. I would use a separate browser (because of all the cookies, passwords, login pages ...) - the business browser

...and another for everything else :mrgreen:
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

slimjet browser with the startpage search engine is my choice for banking...if emailing between my bank and myself, protonmail based in switzerland is in my opinion the best choice as well...DAMIEN
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 am slimjet browser with the startpage search engine is my choice for banking...if emailing between my bank and myself, protonmail based in switzerland is in my opinion the best choice as well...DAMIEN
...funnily I use mailbox.org in Germany ...

Return to “Beginner Questions”