Not sure what happened?!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ApexDestroyer

Not sure what happened?!

Post by ApexDestroyer »

I have been running Mint for about a year on a headless system. I use it for a little home automation, encoding, but mainly as a Plex media server. I store everything on a NAS. I have it set up so that I am automatically logged in and the NAS drives mount and everything starts in the correct order. I hadn't had any problems and once every few months I do some updates. I figured out just enough about Linux to set up my Plex and automation.

Yesterday I noticed that Plex was not working. The Plex Media Server was running but I was not able to access my movies. I went to my laptop and logged into my Linux headless. I noticed that the NAS shares are not mounting. Also, I am missing letters on files, folders, and menu items in the GUI. Now when I open the terminal I get a white block with a flashing "cursor box". I can type but I cant see what I am typing. Performance is not slowed. Not sure what happened or what to do.

When I try to manually mnt the share, I get this now:

Code: Select all

bash: //192.168.2.248/Plex: No such file or directory
I can't access my network from the Linux machine now.

It started off subtle with the mnt not working, now it is slowly getting worse as I try to figure it out and reboot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Not sure what happened?!

Post by ralplpcr »

Do you have the ability to connect a keyboard/mouse/monitor to your Mint box temporarily? It may be easier to debug rather than dealing with it all remotely.

So you're obviously able to access the network in some fashion since you're able to connect remotely. Can you clarify what you mean when you say "I can't access my network from the Linux machine now"? - - is this via ping or tracert that you're checking? Have you verified that you can access the NAS share from your Windows machine? That would be the first step....

It's unclear whether or not you've actually rebooted or not, but a little debugging may be necessary first to determine if that's even necessary. How have you set up the mounting of the NAS shares - - in /etc/fstab? If so, can you post the results of sudo mount -a?

Can you also please post the output of inxi -Fxz? There are a lot of unknowns here with your description, and a little more info about your particular setup could help in debugging the issue.
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

Ok, just verified. I can access the network and specifically the NAS. I can open and view the files in the share.
It is difficult to see what I am doing inside terminal because I cant read most of it. I can copy and paste though and I can paste it on my laptop just fine. I can't even see the "x", "_", or "max" on any of my windows.

I am using fstab

mount error(22): Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

System:    Host: plexserver Kernel: 4.13.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Z220 SFF Workstation
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1791
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: K51 v01.21 date: 10/29/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-3220 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 13169
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 3292 MHz 2: 3292 MHz 3: 3292 MHz
           4: 3292 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1024x768
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Desktop
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-32-generic
Network:   Card: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2250.5GB (59.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500AAKX size: 250.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: BUP_Slim_BK size: 2000.4GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 225G used: 39G (18%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.16GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 218 Uptime: 1:22 Memory: 1347.9/7852.6MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
About 2 seconds after that, I get this:

michael@plexserver ~ $ michael@plexserver ~ $ inxi -Fxz
michael@plexserver: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $ System:    Host: plexserver Kernel: 4.13.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
michael@plexserver ~ $            Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
michael@plexserver ~ $            Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Distro:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $ Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Z220 SFF Workstation
Machine:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1791
Mobo:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: K51 v01.21 date: 10/29/2012
Bios:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $ CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-3220 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
michael@plexserver ~ $            flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 13169
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `lm'
michael@plexserver ~ $            clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 3292 MHz 2: 3292 MHz 3: 3292 MHz
The program 'clock' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install xview-clients
michael@plexserver ~ $            4: 3292 MHz
4:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $ Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Graphics:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            bus-ID: 00:02.0
bus-ID:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
michael@plexserver ~ $            Resolution: 1024x768
Resolution:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge DesktopGLX: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
GLX: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $ Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
Audio:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
driver:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-32-generic
Sound:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $ Network:   Card: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network ConnectionNetwork:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
driver:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
michael@plexserver ~ $ Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2250.5GB (59.1% used)
michael@plexserver ~ $            ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500AAKX size: 250.1GB
ID-1:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: BUP_Slim_BK size: 2000.4GB
ID-2:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $ Partition: ID-1: / size: 225G used: 39G (18%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
michael@plexserver ~ $            ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.16GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
michael@plexserver ~ $ RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
RAID:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $ Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
Sensors:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
michael@plexserver ~ $ Info:      Processes: 218 Uptime: 1:22 Memory: 1347.9/7852.6MB
Info:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Init:: command not found
michael@plexserver ~ $            Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
michael@plexserver ~ $ michael@plexserver ~ $ 
michael@plexserver: command not found
Last edited by ApexDestroyer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

Your second code block looks like you accidentally pasted the contents of your copied inxi -Fxz into your terminal - - so it only makes sense that you can't execute those commands. I wouldn't worry about that part.

The results of your mount commands tell me that you have something not quite right going on in your fstab.
Can you paste it in here, please?
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

That makes sense. It's hard for me to even see the terminal or see what I input or receive as the output. I can't even see the right-click dialog box. (I have to right-click and then guess where copy button is)
I also have to guess where the login screen is for me to enter my password. I just type in the password and hit enter and hope that I selected the text input field for the password. lol

Here is my fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# 
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=d2a118ac-5ca1-4d0d-adb0-0c7a3414374e /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=5626-CFC2  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=5286273f-e24c-44cb-afab-1563de58abe4 none            swap    sw              0       0
# Mapping A Nertwork Share
//192.168.2.248/Plex /mnt/Movies cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,credentials=/home/michael/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
//192.168.2.248/Pictures /mnt/Pictures cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,credentials=/home/michael/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
//192.168.2.248/MoonDrive /mnt/MoonDrive cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,credentials=/home/michael/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

ralplpcr wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:18 pm Do you have the ability to connect a keyboard/mouse/monitor to your Mint box temporarily? It may be easier to debug rather than dealing with it all remotely.
Yes, I can connect a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to it.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

I'm not sure that the sec=ntlm portion of your command is needed? I've never had to use it between Mint (or Ubuntu-based) machines.

From what I can see, your command is very similar to what I use. The biggest thing I see that's missing is the file_mode and dir_mode parameters. Here's how I have a Mint share automounting to another Mint machine - - working this way for about 2 years without a hitch through multiple reboots/power outages/etc:

//192.168.1.74/itunes /mnt/itunes cifs auto,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=users,credentials=/root/.cifscredentials,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775 0 0
So my suggestion would be to try adding those missing parameters. You can "# out" the existing lines so if you need them, it's easy to go back.

Try changing the bottom portion of your /etc/fstab as follows:

# Mapping A Nertwork Share
#//192.168.2.248/Plex /mnt/Movies cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,credentials=/home/michael/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
#//192.168.2.248/Pictures /mnt/Pictures cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,credentials=/home/michael/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
#//192.168.2.248/MoonDrive /mnt/MoonDrive cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,credentials=/home/michael/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

//192.168.2.248/Plex /mnt/Movies cifs auto,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=users,credentials=/home/michael/.smbcredentials,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775 0 0
//192.168.2.248/Pictures /mnt/Pictures cifs auto,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=users,credentials=/home/michael/.smbcredentials,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775 0 0
//192.168.2.248/MoonDrive /mnt/MoonDrive cifs auto,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=users,credentials=/home/michael/.smbcredentials,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775 0 0
After you save your fstab, try doing a sudo mount -a and see what happens.
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

Awesome! That fixed my mounting issue! I haven't changed my fstab in about a year. I'm not sure why it stopped liking it.
Thanks @ralplpcr !

Now, how about the missing information on the GUI? The odd part is that Firefox work perfectly.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

As far as the missing GUI stuff, there could be several reasons.
I would start by making it "non-headless" - at least temporarily.
If it's only not showing properly when connecting remotely, that's one path to follow.
If it still doesn't show properly when you're directly on the machine, that's another.

If you could please check whether you still have the corrupted display when directly connected, it would be a good starting point.

Also, what method are you using to connect remotely to your machine?
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

I'm not at home right now so I can't go non-headless at the moment.

I am using a VNC. Most apps run perfectly but a few do not. mostly the system graphics/fonts and at least 1 app.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

ApexDestroyer wrote:I'm not at home right now so I can't go non-headless at the moment.
I am using a VNC. Most apps run perfectly but a few do not. mostly the system graphics/fonts and at least 1 app.
I've seen something similar to this before. My suspicion is that you've got either a resolution issue, either with your hsync/vsync not being quite correct *or* the mode you've selected isn't compatible with your VNC app. If you're running headless, you could also consider using the -nomodeset boot option to bypass the video driver. (That will bypass the Intel graphics driver, which may or may not fix the problem.)

Which VNC app are you using? There are many - - TightVNC, mRemoteNG, UltraVNC/RealVNC... to name a few. Let us know, please. Also, let us know whether or not you still see the corruption when connected directly to your Linux box.
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

I'm using RealVNC

I couldn't find a monitor cable. It seems like I see them everywhere in my workshop but I can't find one when I need it.
You just reminded me to grab one from my office. Thanks!

I'm confused because it is only within the system and not with any apps.

When I restart the machine without a monitor, It defaults to a lower resolution 4x3 "desktop".

I use this to change the resolution when needed:

xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60.00"  173.00  1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode VIRTUAL1 1920x1080_60.00
xrandr --output VIRTUAL1 --mode 1920x1080_60.00
xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
I have been using this for about a year without any problems.

I have also noticed that now I get a program not responding when I try and reboot the machine. "gnome keyring daemon not responding" (at least that is what I think it says since I can't see all the letters)
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

Ok,

Connected directly to headless.

Everything looks normal.

What do i have wrong when using the VNC?
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

Hmm - I've never used RealVNC, so I can't say for certain? I am curious where you got those xrandr settings, though? From what it looks like, you're trying to remotely set your Mint resolution to a full-screen 1080p mode. Did you generate these *on* the Mint box (ie - when you were first setting it up), or when you were remotely connected? (Or worse - from somebody else's settings on some website?)

If the resolution on your Windows system doesn't match what you've got on your Linux system - including the hsync/vsync, it's possible that the corruption is due to mis-matched synching. I'd recommend trying to get your xrandr settings adjusted while connected remotely. See a previous post of mine for instructions:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=263569#p1430336

Another option you may want to try - - download Teamviewer. It's free for personal use, and works great on both Windows & Linux machines.
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

They were remotely, but I use multiple computers to access the headless including my android phone.

I'm downloading TeamViewer now. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Is there a better way to change the resolution remotely?
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

I'm afraid I don't know of a better way to change the resolution remotely. I suppose technically, you're not "changing" it - - you're "enabling" it.
You can change the resolution to anything that's been enabled in Linux - - either by using the display settings, or directly via xrandr.

For example:

xrandr -s 1280x1024
The xrandr commands you pasted earlier are simply adding a new mode to what Linux will allow for the detected video. Have you tried changing the resolution to something that you *don't* have to set via xrandr? 1360x768, for example?

BTW: Teamviewer can also be added to Android phones. It's a bit annoying, since you either have to scroll around a lot *or* deal with ultra-tiny resolutions, but it does work pretty well. I use it occasionally, but much prefer connecting on a bigger screen.
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

Thanks for your help! The immediate "problems" are solved. I am using TeamViewer now and it has been working great.

Thanks again for the help!
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

Well..... I'm directly connected to my headless and after a reboot, the problem is back. This time without using a VNC.
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

I think I may have found the problem.
Here is what I did to fix the font

as root open:

/etc/default/grub
Change:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"
then open:

/etc/default/console-setup
Change

FONTFACE="Fixed"
to

FONTFACE="VGA"
reboot system and all of my letters are back
My virtual display is still acting up though. If I hover over something 1/2 of the screen goes black (diagonally) until I move the mouse. Maybe the FPS? It is currently set at 60
ApexDestroyer

Post by ApexDestroyer »

Work perfectly with a monitor attached. Are there settings for TeamViewer where This can be fixed?

Return to “Beginner Questions”