Total System Crash<SOLVED>

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Total System Crash<SOLVED>

Post by Glockdoc »

Ok, trying to solve my realtek network card issues I came across a post stating they had fixed the issue.

I followed the instructions on this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WICD

I copied and pasted the code so I would not make a mistake. After a reboot I get a message that says "unable to launch "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" not found; falling back to default session."

Then I just get a black screen and flashing cursor.

I followed the driections for gnome/unity and am, correction, was running Mint 18.3 Sylvia

I had 2 copies of Mint on my drive so I went ahead and crashed BOTH of them.

What do I do? I feel a reinstall in my near future...................

Thanks, JC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Total System Crash

Post by Termy »

That installs the cinnamon session.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cinnamon
This below is what broke it. Cinnamon (or Mint in general) for some annoying reason relies heavily on things like network-manager, so if you take away NM, you take away cinnamon, which is the session:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove network-manager-gnome network-manager 
I recommend you do away with wicd and go back to network-manager. Then try a different way to diagnose whatever the issue is.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

Thanks Termy, but how do I get to a screen where I can type that command? All I have is a black screen with a cursor.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Oooh right, sorry, I forgot about that part. lol Enter the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + F3

Log in with your usual information. The password part won't show any text entered, which is normal. Then enter the command, then restart.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

Well, it is painstakingly obvious I posted in the correct place....

I did an oem install and have no idea what my log in is. I have the password, just no clue what my log in is.

Shortcut took my right to it though
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Total System Crash<SOLVED>

Post by Glockdoc »

Thank you Termy!

I was able to figure out the log in for the 2nd install I had on the drive and I am back up and running.

Off to my next crash as I learn Linux!!!
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Lol You're welcome. Glad it's sorted. I'm just a PM away if you ever have any other questions. :)
Gamesmedic

Post by Gamesmedic »

I am getting the same error. I was on the night before deleting old install packages trying to free up hard drive space and must have screwed up.
I get grub, and I get the logon screen. Typing in my password results in unable to launch cinnamon.... falling back to... Then I get a black screen. My question is, would installing 18.3 from a USB flash drive result in a complete overwrite, i.e. fresh install, or simply an upgrade replacing packages that accidentally got deleted?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YES - would installing 18.3 from a USB flash drive result in a complete overwrite, i.e. fresh install . .
- it will erase the existing system, by formatting the drive :!:

it would also pay to start another Topic, if you have any further issues.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”