Win 10 time is incorrect after using Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Turbo2

Win 10 time is incorrect after using Linux

Post by Turbo2 »

I installed Linux Mint 18.3 alongside Windows 10 and every time that I use Linux and then go back to Windows 10 the time is way off. I have to go to Windows settings and turn off auto time update and then turn it back on to get it to read correctly. Also, Linux has turned off my hot USB ports when the computer shuts down.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Win 10 time is incorrect after using Linux

Post by Moem »

Here's the fix for the first problem: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=263711
It happens all the time, so the answer was pretty easy to find.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

This should solve your time issue: https://askubuntu.com/a/800965

Hot USB ports: assuming that you don't mean using your USB ports as electrical heating, what do you mean? :)

--Edit: Moem was too fast for me...
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Turbo2

Post by Turbo2 »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 pm This should solve your time issue: https://askubuntu.com/a/800965

Hot USB ports: assuming that you don't mean using your USB ports as electrical heating, what do you mean? :)

When I turn my computer off there is (or I should say was) power still going to them to charge phones, etc. even when the computer is off.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Turbo2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:50 pm
Pjotr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 pm This should solve your time issue: https://askubuntu.com/a/800965

When I turn my computer off there is (or I should say was) power still going to them to charge phones, etc. even when the computer is off.
Then your computer isn't/wasn't really off.... Still consuming power.

Seems rather undesirable to me. When I charge my phone, I use the dedicated charger for it. And I pull it from the wall socket when the job is done: no sense in letting it use more electricity then.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I always charge my phone via the PC. It's right next to me, and since I'm the computer every day, I need my phone nearby. I have a dedicated charger by the bed and spare chargers around if needed, but it's yet to be a concern.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

Set Clock Time on Dual-Boot Systems

If you're dual-booting Linux Mint 18 and Windows 10, you may find that changing time in one system affects the other and the two systems can't display the same time.

This happens as Linux Mint 18 interprets the hardware clock or real time clock (RTC) in universal time (UTC) by default while Windows 10 maintains the clock in local time.

You can fix this by keeping RTC in local time in Linux Mint, same as Windows, by running a command in the terminal below.

timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock
gld59

Post by gld59 »

In spite of the suggestions to change Linux's timezone behaviour to match that of Windows, changing recent versions of Windows to match Linux's preferred behaviour may be more convenient. If you live somewhere with daylight saving, each OS will want to make the ds adjustment twice a year. If Linux is changed to match Windows, that means both will change the RTC (hardware clock), therefore a double adjustment. If Windows is instead changed to match Linux, both will only change the time "internally", by changing their offset from the (unchanged) RTC.

The topic at viewtopic.php?f=90&t=262667 is worth a look - it's only 11 posts.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Augmenting the above post, here's another article for easily editung the Windows registry to force it to use UTC time where its local time is governed by the user session, the way the rest of the world's computers work.

Joe
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

In BIOS, set the USB ports to allow charging when the laptop is turned OFF.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Turbo2

Post by Turbo2 »

Moem wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:22 pm Here's the fix for the first problem: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=263711
It happens all the time, so the answer was pretty easy to find.
I changes the registry in Windows10 and now it's back to normal. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”