Cinnamon vs Mate

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cinnamon vs Mate

Post by sdibaja »

side note: Cinnamon is created by Mint, Mate is not.
Mate is a separate project with just a few players in common.
The version of Mate you get in all Mint products is rather different (and in my opinion inferior) to the full version that we get outside of the "walled garden" of Mint.

You will find the same with the other desktops provided by Mint.
Not a "bad thing" but Different.

sorry for the hijack
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

pbear wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 pm
austin.texas wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:21 am I consider the Cinnamon file manager (Nemo) to be much better than the Mate file manager (Caja). That is one of the deciding factors for me.
Would appreciate if you could expound on this.
Concerning the appearance, I like the more compact toolbar arrangement in Nemo - where you can add and delete the icons you want or don't want.
I use the Nemo Image Converter plugin for quick and easy resizing. (I could use convert on the CLI, I know...)
It irritates me that Caja has such a limited Copy to: and Move to: right-click menu. Nemo is much more versatile in that regard, and I am used to using that function.
Other than that, there are quite a few similarities, true, but if you look through the Preferences you see that Nemo definitely has more options available.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

NEMO to me, emulates the "world standard if you will" of the Windows OS, and since I have been with Windows since its' inception, and fully indoctrinated in those keyboard shortcuts, and menu structures, Nemo wins hands down as "The Best" file manager.

Like Austin said, the Right Click structure has it all.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Thanks austin and AZgl.
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

tenfoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:19 am
borg101 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:26 pm
tenfoot wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:21 pm Mate all the way :D Adopt Mate and he will become your best MATE :lol:

<... runs away before the flames engulf me....>
Mate, while good and fairly easy to use, is too simplistic looking. Say what you will about Windows 10....it feels "modern". That's kind of how I feel about Gnome and Pantheon.

I agree, Mate is simplistic and that's why I like it.

<mumbles to himself> That's the trouble with these youngsters, they want everything glitzy a lot of 'bells and whistles. Its "bling" I say. It's just "bling" and lots of bling :lol:
It's not just "bling" though. Gnome extensions have saved me a buttload of work. There's a reason why some cars are more expensive than others. lol....and I'm not sure if I qualify as a "youngster". lol.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

austin.texas wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:21 am I consider the Cinnamon file manager (Nemo) to be much better than the Mate file manager (Caja). That is one of the deciding factors for me.
So, download Nemo and use the control panel to change the default file manager. The nice thing about Linux is choice. If you don't like the apps that come with an OS, change them.

BTW, you can download both Cinnamon and Mate. To switch between them, logout, click on the gear icon to change the desktop, and log back in. Try working a day with each. Then you can decide for yourself.
Don't stop where the ink does.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

shawnhcorey wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 am BTW, you can download both Cinnamon and Mate. To switch between them, logout, click on the gear icon to change the desktop, and log back in. Try working a day with each. Then you can decide for yourself.
Using two different desktop environments on the same installation of Mint is not recommended, it can lead to... interesting problems. I would always recommend using two different separate installations instead, side by side as a dual boot or with one in a virtual machine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

Moem wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:51 am
shawnhcorey wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 am BTW, you can download both Cinnamon and Mate. To switch between them, logout, click on the gear icon to change the desktop, and log back in. Try working a day with each. Then you can decide for yourself.
Using two different desktop environments on the same installation of Mint is not recommended, it can lead to... interesting problems. I would always recommend using two different separate installations instead, side by side as a dual boot or with one in a virtual machine.
Perhaps at one time but not anymore. When Mate, Cinnamon, and GNOME 3 were forked from GNOME 2, they still used configuration files from GNOME 2 but not anymore. Now they each have their own configuration files. There should be no more interesting problems.
Don't stop where the ink does.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Moem wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:51 am
Moem,
I think this is very solid advice. With VM now on this laptop, I am walking through different distros and getting a feel for each of them

Last night, I installed VM on my big Win7 desktop PC, 6 gB RAM and 1 TB HDD.
Installed several distros of ancient Linux stuff from 2012 and 2014 just because the ISOs were already on the HDD

Wow, is all I can say as to how well VM works. those old Linux distros ran just as fast being installed on the native machine.... did not have a way of doing any "Time comparisons", it was all just gut reaction to what happened when I used them.

Interesting thing about 2012 Elementary OS, it was no where near as refined as 18.3 Mint Cinnamon. :)
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”