Cinnamon vs Mate

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amagugaaq

Cinnamon vs Mate

Post by amagugaaq »

Please tell me the significant details about cinnamon and mate, and why someone should choose one or the other. Unfortunately, the Linux Mint website offers no descriptive information to guide someone to choose one or the other, which is strange. I am considering installing one of them on a Dell i7 small form factor computer, 500 GB SDD, 16GB RAM. Thank-you very much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: Cinnamon vs Mate

Post by Mattyboy »

No one can advise you on this as it mostly comes down to taste.... that being said you would pick Mate over Cinnamon if you had an older machine as it takes less resources to run. ( your machine will run Cinnamon just fine )

You can test each desktop environment from a live boot before installing to get a good idea.... and before that, maybe, watch a few videos of each one on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... namon+2017
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I consider the Cinnamon file manager (Nemo) to be much better than the Mate file manager (Caja). That is one of the deciding factors for me.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You have plenty of RAM but with Cinnamon it's the graphics card I'd be looking at. I don't use Cinnamon anymore but if I were to install it again I'd make sure it was on a machine with a properly supported gpu in Linux and had good power. What's the graphics card in your machine?

It's also a matter of taste. The best thing would be to dl both the Cinnamon and Xfce versions and make bootable USB sticks from them. Then boot and test. Optical drives aren't fast enough to get a feel for things. The install the one you prefer, and don't install more than one desktop.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I use Cinnamon because it looks good...no other reason. :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

I started with 18.2 Cinnamon on my laptop. A few udates later and Cinnamon would drop back to something that was not Cinnamon. I now have 18.2 Mate. Appearance wise, not much difference, but my old laptop is much happier with Mate.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

your i7 cpu can handle any desktop
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

amagugaaq wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:22 pm Please tell me the significant details about cinnamon and mate, and why someone should choose one or the other. Unfortunately, the Linux Mint website offers no descriptive information to guide someone to choose one or the other, which is strange. I am considering installing one of them on a Dell i7 small form factor computer, 500 GB SDD, 16GB RAM. Thank-you very much.
Use GNOME *drops mic, walks out*'

*comes back*.....ok, use whatever you want, but GNOME rocks!
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Mate all the way :D Adopt Mate and he will become your best MATE :lol:

<... runs away before the flames engulf me....>
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

tenfoot wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:21 pm Mate all the way :D Adopt Mate and he will become your best MATE :lol:

Mate, while good and fairly easy to use, is too simplistic looking. Say what you will about Windows 10....it feels "modern". That's kind of how I feel about Gnome and Pantheon.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

borg101 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:26 pm
tenfoot wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:21 pm Mate all the way :D Adopt Mate and he will become your best MATE :lol:

Mate, while good and fairly easy to use, is too simplistic looking. Say what you will about Windows 10....it feels "modern". That's kind of how I feel about Gnome and Pantheon.

I agree, Mate is simplistic and that's why I like it.

<mumbles to himself> That's the trouble with these youngsters, they want everything glitzy a lot of 'bells and whistles. Its "bling" I say. It's just "bling" and lots of bling :lol:
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

borg101 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:26 pm

it is that Windows 10 look and feel that drove me so far away from it, that I will never go back.
I hate that stupid blocky looking menu screen...

I ran Classic Menu on Vs 8.1 to get rid of that crap.
my desktop is staying on Win7 forever, and ever... it will never change.....
my buddy down the street, he refuses to upgrade from WinXP... he has 3 of them on his home network, and he has never been blown out of the water by the gremlins....

He turns them off when he is not using them, but that is about all.
I installed AVAST on the 3 of them, and they just keep ticking.
We also use MalwareBytes to occasionally check things out.

For me, on this Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, I have VM and it runs WinXP, Win7, and Mate 18.3

I just had to see what you guys were blabbering about with Mint Mate.... :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
iIMMIi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iIMMIi »

Any fairly recent high end Laptop (16gb RAM is probably very recent and high end) should have a GPU good enough to support Cinnamon. Even newer Intel GPUs are sufficient in my opinion (Cinnamon works fine on my 8-years-old Laptop's integrated GPU). So you should be good to use Cinnamon.

As for the looks, just search for mate DE and cinnamon DE on google and you'll get an idea of which you prefer. You can also watch a video.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

tenfoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:19 am

Same here. I just want to get my work done.
Now, if I wanted an epilepsy inducing kaleidoscope, I'd just install Plasma 5...Image
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MartyMint wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:52 pm
tenfoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:19 am

Same here. I just want to get my work done.
Now, if I wanted an epilepsy inducing kaleidoscope, I'd just install Plasma 5...Image
No kaleidoscopes for me, I instantly went to my stock pure black background the first time the desktop appeared. I just enjoy the fact that it emulates the standard Windows keyboard shortcut command set.

I turned off everything that had to do with fancy crap, just like I have done in every Windows install from day 1 in DOS 3.0, oh, uh, that was a blank green screen in those days :mrgreen:

I was just curious if the OS in Mate is trimmer than Cinnamon is.
When I loaded it into VM and saw that it totally lacked any of the features from Cinnamon, ie, a stock set of Office like stuff, helpful apps for images, etc.... I had to assume that it was just the very basics required to make Mint run.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 pm I was just curious if the OS in Mate is trimmer than Cinnamon is.
When I loaded it into VM and saw that it totally lacked any of the features from Cinnamon, ie, a stock set of Office like stuff, helpful apps for images, etc.... I had to assume that it was just the very basics required to make Mint run.
Not strictly true. Unless my memory is going, LibreOffice, E-Bookviewer, Image Viewer. Pix, and Gimp are installed automatically. This more than covers the basics.
tenfoot
Faust

Post by Faust »

There was something called Hybryde Linux a few years ago .

You could switch between all the major desktops "on-the-fly" ( no reboot needed ) to see which you preferred .
It was a bit of novelty , a fully working distro , but not much practical use for anything else except trying the different DEs
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 pm I was just curious if the OS in Mate is trimmer than Cinnamon is.
I'm not sure what you did, but Mate comes with the same applications as any other version of Mint. It's just the ones that are directly tied to the desktop environment that can differ, such as the file manager. But it most certainly comes fully stocked with applications.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I think it was just the first appearance that I saw on Mate, have only used it twice so far.

Tonight, I installed MX-17 on Virtualbox and that is an interesting distro...
it also seems to have the necessary things to make life easy, but the install was a lot faster than what I am used to.

One thing common to all of the Virtualbox apps is that so far, none of them can see the USB ports on my laptop.

MX-17 can't seem to find my WiFi adapter.

Mate didn't seem to have that problem, it just fired up and went to the internet.

WinXP and Win7 both can see the WiFi adapter.

I am having fun with Virtualbox, it is allowing me to install a lot of stuff to take a glance at it, and then throw it away in a heap if I don't like it.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

austin.texas wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:21 am I consider the Cinnamon file manager (Nemo) to be much better than the Mate file manager (Caja). That is one of the deciding factors for me.
Would appreciate if you could expound on this. The eye candy doesn't mean anything to me, but this would be a good reason to consider switching. I have a Cinnamon test box (full install). Only significant differences I've noticed are that (i) Nemo lets you control automount of external drives from preferences, where that only can be done in MATE with gsettings in Terminal, and (ii) Caja has a right-click option to open a file as administrator.

Return to “Beginner Questions”