[SOLVED] Linux & win apps (programs, games etc)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrIggy

[SOLVED] Linux & win apps (programs, games etc)

Post by MrIggy »

Hi everybody, I'm new to Linux Mint and I was wondering about what is the best way to run win apps on Linux? Is it better to go just with Wine or through PlayoOnLinux and how? Which additional program components, and how, help with the running of such apps (winetricks etc.)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux & win apps (programs, games etc)

Post by Hoser Rob »

PlayOnLinux, like others, is just a Wine GUI. The useful thing it does is juggle Wine versions for you to try to find one that works. But Wine is a stupoid idea from the start and not reliable. You cannot expect to run any (or even most) WIndows apps with it.

The best way is to run WIndows in dual boot or in a virtual machine like Virtualbox.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:50 am Wine is a stupoid idea from the start and not reliable. You cannot expect to run any (or even most) WIndows apps with it.
Always so negative... Wine allows me to run Dreamweaver and Paint Shop Pro. They work fine. So let's not generalise. Wine can't do everything, but sometimes it's a very workable solution.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

MrIggy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 am Hi everybody, I'm new to Linux Mint and I was wondering about what is the best way to run win apps on Linux? Is it better to go just with Wine or through PlayoOnLinux and how? Which additional program components, and how, help with the running of such apps (winetricks etc.)?
There is no accurate generalization about ALL Windows apps with regard to using Wine or any of its companions.

The simple FACT of the matter is that the success depends on not only which particular app you want to run, but also, on which version of that app.

Take MS Office, for example. The Office 2007 version ran just fine under Wine, and with some tweaking, the Office 2010 version worked as well. But those versions are OLD now, and if what you are looking for is compatibility with folks running CURRENT MS Office versions (e.g., 2016 or Office 365), then you are out of luck.

Same is true of Windows Browsers. The OLD version of Internet Explorer (which is the default Browser that many Windows users utilized until Win10 came along), has not (AFAIK) progressed beyond version 7 -- and folks today are using IE version 11. Don't even think about running Edge -- as to why you would want to use that, I do not know!

Windows apps are constantly evolving, and an app that runs just fine today, after an upgrade, might work poorly, or not at all.

If you are dependent on Windows apps for daily usage, then the best place to use them -- is in Windows!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MrIggy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 am Hi everybody, I'm new to Linux Mint and I was wondering about what is the best way to run win apps on Linux? Is it better to go just with Wine or through PlayoOnLinux and how? Which additional program components, and how, help with the running of such apps (winetricks etc.)?
Wine has its place but for best compatibility, you can't go past a virtual machine if you don't want to dual boot.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

The only apps that I run on Wine are 3 versions of Mandelbulb 3D. There is also XP running on Virtualbox if needed. I do not use Play on Linux (yet) as it is not needed for my purposes. Some programs that run well in Virtualbox do not do well with Wine and vice versa.

There are just too many variables to make a blanket statement on what you should do. That should be done on a case by case basis.

On this system Caesar III and Pharaoh (city building games) work very well on the Virtualbox XP. Apophysis also does well on the Virtualbox setup but poorly with Wine. Keep in mind that different hardware, and distributions may show different results.

Return to “Beginner Questions”