Update manager does not work correctly

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iliyan_pi

Update manager does not work correctly

Post by iliyan_pi »

After update 10 days ago I 've got troubles with my Mint 17.3 Mate and had to reinstall it. Anyway, I reinstalled Mint 17.3 and almost everything is OK, but update manager once again does not work - after click on "install update" it seems as if update goes but not. And i have to make update from terminal using "apt-get update", but can not control what to update, especially kernel updates (i think this may be the reason I had problems 10 days before). How to update excluding items "above" level 3 in update manager or how to cure it??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Update manager does not work correctly

Post by all41 »

Try this:
Go to Menu/Software Sources. Click 'Restore the default settings' button.
Then click the 'PPAs' button and temporarily remove the check mark for everything listed.
Then click the 'Additional repositories' button and do the same.
Now click the 'Update the cache' button.
When that finishes close out the Software Sources app, and open the Update Manager.
Click the 'Refresh' button, then observe which updates are being offered. Levels 4 and 5 should
remain unchecked.Now click the 'Install Updates' button. Report your findings back to this thread.
Running apt-get up date does not install updates to your system--it only updates your local package list.
You can select which update levels are displayed in the Software Manager Edit/Preferencs
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
iliyan_pi

Post by iliyan_pi »

Hi,
I did all You suggested. At the end after click "install updates" button, comes out a window with "this upgrade will trigger additional changes" , OK , and after 5 seconds later the icon of update manager appears again on the panel, but nothing happened.
Thank You.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Try running:
apt update
again now that you have your sources restored to default.
Then retry update manager.

If no joy then in a terminal run:
inxi -r
and
mintupdate
copy those 2 terminal results and paste them to this thread.
iliyan_pi

Post by iliyan_pi »

This is from "inxi -r"

Code: Select all

ipiperov@piperov-ntbk ~ $ inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com rosa main upstream import
           deb http://extra.linuxmint.com rosa main
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ trusty partner
This is from "mintupdate:
ipiperov@piperov-ntbk ~ $ mintupdate
ipiperov@piperov-ntbk ~ $ 
(mintUpdate.py:8477): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <signal>.

(mintUpdate.py:8477): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <signal>.

and update manager is open.

Thank You
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Your repository list is normal.
after click "install updates" button, comes out a window with "this upgrade will trigger additional changes
In this sentence are you sure the message "this upgrade will trigger...." is not actually "this update will trigger...."?
Updates and upgrades are quite different matters.
Are you trying to upgrade to Mint 18.x as opposed to update Mint 17.3? -- just to be sure about this.
So if you are updating Mint 17.3 MATE open the update manager press Refresh. If you see updates offered make sure
that only Levels 1 thru 3 are selected then press Install updates.
If the manager notifies of triggering additional updates select OK.
Report those findings.
iliyan_pi

Post by iliyan_pi »

all41 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:52 pm Your repository list is normal.
after click "install updates" button, comes out a window with "this upgrade will trigger additional changes
In this sentence are you sure the message "this upgrade will trigger...." is not actually "this update will trigger...."?
Updates and upgrades are quite different matters.
Are you trying to upgrade to Mint 18.x as opposed to update Mint 17.3? -- just to be sure about this.
So if you are updating Mint 17.3 MATE open the update manager press Refresh. If you see updates offered make sure
that only Levels 1 thru 3 are selected then press Install updates.
If the manager notifies of triggering additional updates select OK.
Report those findings.
Hi, I am tying to make update of Mint 17.3 and understand the difference , but the message is realy "upgrade..." - I attach a screenshot . A month ago i tried Mint 18.3 ( on another hdd) and was not happy - it worked slowly, cracked with my machine, it seems as if using bad video driver.

Return to “Beginner Questions”