[SOLVED]Errors after Trying to Install Wine and VirtualBox on Linux Mint 18.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ancient66

[SOLVED]Errors after Trying to Install Wine and VirtualBox on Linux Mint 18.3

Post by Ancient66 »

Hi Everyone,
Don't groan-I'm back again! After trying to install the above software on my new Mint installation (first from the Software Manager and then directly from the appropriate website) the software manager won't work, all I'm getting now is after opening the Software Sources screen is:

"E Malformed entry 1 in the list file/etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list (Component)"

What have I done and how to fix it? Answers please in words of one syllable and the minimum tech speak. A easy to work solution would be very much appreciated!
Every thing else seems to work ok. Prior to trying these installations I successfully download and installed Opera and Libre Office, both of which work.
I only want to run one or two bits of Windows software hence Wine/VirtualBox. (sorry for mentioning the dreaded "W" word)
Thank you in advance for your patience and help.

Regards,
James.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Errors after Trying to Install Wine and VirtualBox on Linux Mint 18.3

Post by MrEen »

Hi James,

This will be a pretty easy fix. First, open a terminal and paste this in inxi -r then hit Enter. Copy the result and paste it back here. You can hit the </> button above the reply window before pasting so the result looks decently formatted.

Once we know what needs fixing, the next instruction will be to enter gksudo xed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list (replacing xed with your text editor) to alter the offending file.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Ancient66 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:00 pm "E Malformed entry 1 in the list file/etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list (Component)"
It's kinda what it says: the first line of that file has an error.
It should look something like this:
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list

Code: Select all

deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main
# deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian xenial contrib
Edit: try that "cat" command, which will show the actual content of the file with the problem, and post results here. The inxi stuff may or may not tell you anything.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Ancient66

Post by Ancient66 »

Hi Mr Een and Flemur, thank you for your replies. Sorry it's taken a while to come back (been to work etc). I've tried both suggestions and here are the results I got:
Screenshot at 2018-02-18 15-57-47.png
Screenshot at 2018-02-18 15-57-47.png
Sorry if these screenshots are not the best way of doing things but have really struggled to copy these results hence you can see the time it has taken. The latter one is the response to the command: cat /etc/apt//sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list

Thank you for your patience.

James
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Ancient66 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:57 pmSorry if these screenshots are not the best way of doing things but have really struggled to copy these results
It's really easy. In a terminal:
- highlight the text you want to copy by dragging the mouse like in any other OS or application.
- rt-click -> "Copy", or (Ctrl+Shft+C = just like Ctrl+C but with Shift held, too)
- rt-click -> Paste to paste it here.
You have one entry listed four times and only the last one has the correct format, with a space before "xenial".

With a text editor

gksudo gedit 
(or whatever your editor is) remove the first three lines in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
so you only have the one that looks like what I posted (ignoring the commented-out line: #).

Edit2: fix it by doing this:

$ sudo -i
[sudo] password for X: 
# echo "deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
# 
# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main
#
# (Ctrl+D) = logout
$ sudo apt-get update
...no errors....
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Ancient66

Re: [SOLVED]Errors after Trying to Install Wine and VirtualBox on Linux Mint 18.3

Post by Ancient66 »

Hi Flemur, sorry to take so long to reply, thank you for your help, I've managed to overcome the problem with your suggestions, sorry for being such a dummy

Regards
James

Return to “Beginner Questions”