[SOLVED] Power management : how to shutdown immediately when battery very low

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
littlehuman
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Power management : how to shutdown immediately when battery very low

Post by littlehuman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:08 pm

Hello there,

As I disabled hibernation for multiple reasons (ssd is one of them), I have now no other option, in Power Management > Power > When the battery is critically low than "Do nothing".

Is there any way to add other options in this drop down list ? By editing a script ? Or what would you recommend, given the fact that I would like my laptop to immediately shutdown if percentage is critically low or, I would say <7% ?
Last edited by littlehuman on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Bruce Schneier taught Chuck Norris how to divide by zero as they stood silent in an elevator" - schneierfacts.com

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Power management of laptop : shutdown immediately when battery very low

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:31 pm

You could(!) install dconf-editor.
There you can navigate (in the left pane) to org -> cinnamon -> settings-daemon -> plugin -> power and select the value critcal-battery-action and select another action. I wrote "could", because it will not bring much. Anything than hibernation needs power and if there is non left, than the game is over and the computer will shut off. Even worse: it will hard shut off, this includes the risk for damaging the file system.

littlehuman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Power management of laptop : shutdown immediately when battery very low

Post by littlehuman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Thank you. Looks like a clean way to set the parameters I want.
To be secure and avoid any hard shut off, I will set percentage-critical to a higher value like 10, and percentage-action to 8 or 7.
I saw these values are effective only when use-time-for-policy (which is true by default) is set to false.
I will do some tests.
"Bruce Schneier taught Chuck Norris how to divide by zero as they stood silent in an elevator" - schneierfacts.com

Return to “Newbie Questions”