Qsynth->fluidsynth question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arcenciel
Level 1
Level 1

Qsynth->fluidsynth question

Post by arcenciel »

Hi all,
I finally got my midi keyboard working just fine using Ted's Linux MIDI Guide and it sounds great after much effort. I am starting everything up including jack from a shell script that automates the aconnect and starts fluidsynth and pasuspender.
I start fluidsynth with:
~$ fluidsynth --server --no-shell --audio-driver=jack \
--connect-jack-outputs --reverb=2 --chorus=0 --gain=0.8 \
/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 \
&>/tmp/fluidsynth.out &

Not pretty but works except that qsynth can't seem to control the fluidsynth that is running. If I start fluidsynth from within qsynth, it doesn't work and I get no sound even though all the configs seem the same as the command line.
I also can see 16 instruments from within qsynth from the sound font but can't find the command line argument to change from the default one.
I tried removing the --no-shell command and it didn't work. The qsynth documentation is really sparse. Any help would be appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: fluidsynth question

Post by Hoser Rob »

That guide suggests killing pulseaudio ... Note he said killing it, not removing it, which is not a good idea generally ... if you're having fluidsynth problems. Did you try that?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
arcenciel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: fluidsynth question

Post by arcenciel »

Yes,
My script uses pasuspender to get pulseaudio out of the way but I'm not sure that qsynth does that. I suspect that i need to execute both the pasuspender command and the aconnect command external to starting qsynth, but so far I'm trying to understand the qsynth and fluidsynth config files.
Here's the pasuspender command I'm using:
pasuspender -- \
jackd -d alsa --device hw:2 --rate 44100 --period 128 \
&>/tmp/jackd.out &
I noticed that the fluidsynth config does not identify either the audio device or the midi device. When I add these , it still doesn't work.

Return to “Beginner Questions”