How to switch back to Windows?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
saracen99

How to switch back to Windows?

Post by saracen99 »

I want to switch back to Windows and I have a bootable usb with Windows 10 on it, but when I start my computer and press escape at the Toshiba screen it takes me to grub, so I type exit and lets me select between Mint, Advanced Mint, and Setup. However, when I go to setup and change the boot order, it won't start with the usb or give me any options to boot through the usb when I reboot or shutdown and startup again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
saracen99

Re: How to switch back to Windows?

Post by saracen99 »

I'm using woeusb now instead of the iso burner that comes with mint
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

esc or shift key are usually pressed to actually bring the grub screen up so this is probably why its happening.

Not knowing your exact model makes it difficult to tell you what button to press for the actual boot menu, typically f12 is one that usually works, or f2 on some older toshiba models. Do a search online for your model using the "bio's" and "UEFI" terms.

Note that Linux is installed in etx hard drive format which Windows can't read so it "can't install to this disk". Boot your Windows install media then run DISKPART and CLEAN commands from the command prompt before proceeding with the new installation.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I'm sarcastic now: Acer offered to reinstall my Windows several times when I deleted Windows ..!
Is Toshiba a bit backward here?
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Switching to boot from USB. Different BIOSs have different keys to press, escape, F12, etc. Sometimes you have to press them very fast. By the time you read the message about Escape, it may be too late. Try a boot and tap the key frequently during the boot. Do you get into BIOS?

In the BIOS there may be one setting to switch on USB boot and a separate setting to make USB boot first.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

Many older computers were not able to boot from a USB, but have a read about this if your PC can't boot from USB,
https://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux/live/index.html
gld59

Post by gld59 »

Although a computer old enough to need Elmar's amazing little utility to boot from USB is unlikely to be capable of running Win10, either. :)
saracen99's problem would appear to be hitting Esc at boot, instead of F12, F2 or maybe even Del.

Return to “Beginner Questions”