Password issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Krazykay

Password issues

Post by Krazykay »

I have a HP Pavilion G6 series laptop and I do not have Windows software only Linux Mint and for some reason I cannot get past the password on the welcome screen. I let a computer tech use it and returned it to me unserviced(for the same problem) and with a password on it along with the fact that they disappeared soon after. I am wondering how without buying any software can I reset this computer so I do not have to put a password in before gaining access. I tried all types of passwords that I thought it may have been but still no luck . I've tried everything I've tried frequently asked questions I've tried Forum threads. I don't know what else to do. The computer shows no presence of Windows software only Linux Mint so this is my last resort before trashing the computer. I damn near took the whole thing apart just to find a reset button. Please help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: Password issues

Post by Mattyboy »

A faulty or inaccessible operating system is no reason to 'trash' a computer. I once over heard a customer in my local computer shop say they had a virus on a Windows computer. The 'tec' started to explain what they would 'do' which confused them enough to declare 'I'll just buy a new one'.... to which the 'tec' only saw pound signs and was happy to do so.... it annoyed me so much I intervened and reinstalled Windows on it for them for free....don't try to rip people off, there's a moral there.

Is this your computer? did you know the password before and its changed or is this something you have acquired with the operating system already installed?

Worst case you can just re-install Mint, which will cost nothing if you have a blank DVD or USB, you can set a new password during the installation process. If the computer has previously had Windows 10 installed you can also re-install it for free. If the computer has never had Windows 10 then yes it will cost you.

There are ways, I believe, of re-setting a Mint/Linux password but that's not something I can help with without, eh, having a password. Catch 22.

If you need help or advice on how to re-install Mint or Windows then feel free to ask..

Oh... and don't take it back to that 'tec' sounds like an idiot.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/5

Or, if you don't have any of your own data on that computer, just do a new install.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

If the password for the user account that you are trying to change/recover is the same as the root password does the above method change both passwords (root & user) or just the user password?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Just the user.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Superannuated wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:32 pm If the password for the user account that you are trying to change/recover is the same as the root password does the above method change both passwords (root & user) or just the user password?
For Mint 17.x - both root and user (assuming that you have never changed the root password).
For Mint 18.x - just the user.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I stand (semi) corrected. Thanks for that.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Krazykay wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:23 pm I have a HP Pavilion G6 series laptop and I do not have Windows software only Linux Mint and for some reason I cannot get past the password on the welcome screen. I let a computer tech use it and returned it to me unserviced(for the same problem) and with a password on it along with the fact that they disappeared soon after. I am wondering how without buying any software can I reset this computer so I do not have to put a password in before gaining access. I tried all types of passwords that I thought it may have been but still no luck . I've tried everything I've tried frequently asked questions I've tried Forum threads. I don't know what else to do. The computer shows no presence of Windows software only Linux Mint so this is my last resort before trashing the computer. I damn near took the whole thing apart just to find a reset button. Please help
The keyboard settings - if in doubt look at the American - compare it with your national settings... :mrgreen:
Long experience - best regards
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Supplement to my previous entry:
You are not American and your keyboard does not have the American-style layout - avoid the letters z and y, avoid special characters.
If the installation was successful, you can change the password afterwards ...
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

austin.texas wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:07 am For Mint 17.x - both root and user (assuming that you have never changed the root password).
For Mint 18.x - just the user.
Thanks.

If Krazykay is attempting to run LM 18.x and doesn't have any important documents in Home then it may be better to just reinstall. Otherwise he/she will have to change the root password, too, or he/she will not be able to do anything that requires the root password.

If there are important documents then changing the user password makes sense so that he/she can backup the documents and then do a fresh install so that he/she knows the root password.
Krazykay

Post by Krazykay »

Can someone explain if reinstalling the program or changing whatever root password is the solution,HOW do I do so,especially with no access. The computer comes on ,goes to welcome screen,asks for password. No access.This IS my computer returned to me from a faulty tech.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Krazykay, I would personally re-install LM via a DVD or USB flash drive. When creating the password during the install, make sure that Caps-Lock is OFF, and make sure you type the password correctly, if unsure, just Backspace and start again, twice.
Good computer techs are hard to find, that's why for the past 25+ years I don't allow anyone or anything to touch my PCs. I have a programming degree and I taught myself how to build rigs from scratch. All the answers are out there...Google.
If you are going to trash that laptop, I'll gladly take it. I have about a dozen used laptops in the storage shed that people have given to me. I wipe them, then install LM onto them, and sell them for a very reasonable fee.
But, in your case, I would just re-install, which is such a simple remedy.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

Presumably everything is OK with your hardware and if you start up your computer with the Linux Mint (LM) installation ISO (as a DVD or USB flash drive) the computer will respond normally and run. From there you can reinstall LM and give it a new, easy to remember password.

I don't know if you need help with the installation or not, but if you do then hopefully you have access to another computer to bring up the Linux Mint Installation Guide to help you through the installation process and/or follow one of these YouTube videos:
Beginner's Guide To Installing Linux Mint 18
Linux Mint Installation Guide for Beginners
It also helps if you can connect your computer to the internet via Ethernet cable.

Briefly, if you insert the DVD or USB stick with the LM ISO and start your computer you want it to load the LM ISO. If instead the computer starts from your hard drive and goes into the non-responsive Welcome Screen, then you need to restart your computer and go into your BIOS and set the boot order so that your DVD drive and/or USB boots before the hard drive. Further information is in the LM Installation Guide but I wanted to make it clear.

Once you get the ISO loaded just follow one of the guides to perform the installation. Good luck.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Load up a LiveCD or LiveUSB of Linux Mint (or any Linux, within reason), then open up a terminal and "chroot" in. See guides if you're unsure what I mean. The general gist is that you mount the partition, chroot in, then set the password via the passwd command. If you've local access, you've the keys to the kingdom.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

The Linux Mint Installation Guide could be more clear in a couple of places for beginners. When you choose an installation type and Linux Mint is the only OS on your computer (as in your case) then only select the button "Erase disk and install Linux Mint". Do not select to Encrypt or Use LVM or Something else (as shown in the figure), they complicate matters.
Installation type.png
When you get to the window "Who are you?" then do not select "Encrypt my home folder" (as shown in the figure) unless you understand the implications. This also complicates things.
Who are you.png
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Agreed!
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Krazykay

Post by Krazykay »

Superannuated wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:32 pm
If the password for the user account that you are trying to change/recover is the same as the root password does the above method change both passwords (root & user) or just the user password?
I tried this, and when I got to the part where I type ls/home to view the other users there was nothing to see, and only let me type in a username just to say it doesn't exist, I move along anyways,and nothing changed.
Krazykay

Post by Krazykay »

Mattyboy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 pm A faulty or inaccessible operating system is no reason to 'trash' a computer. I once over heard a customer in my local computer shop say they had a virus on a Windows computer. The 'tec' started to explain what they would 'do' which confused them enough to declare 'I'll just buy a new one'.... to which the 'tec' only saw pound signs and was happy to do so.... it annoyed me so much I intervened and reinstalled Windows on it for them for free....don't try to rip people off, there's a moral there.

Is this your computer? did you know the password before and its changed or is this something you have acquired with the operating system already installed?

Worst case you can just re-install Mint, which will cost nothing if you have a blank DVD or USB, you can set a new password during the installation process. If the computer has previously had Windows 10 installed you can also re-install it for free. If the computer has never had Windows 10 then yes it will cost you.

There are ways, I believe, of re-setting a Mint/Linux password but that's not something I can help with without, eh, having a password. Catch 22.

If you need help or advice on how to re-install Mint or Windows then feel free to ask..

Oh... and don't take it back to that 'tec' sounds like an idiot.
Given that I have a blank disc, please tell me how to reinstall lm. Editing options on the grub menu didn't help whatsoever.
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

Krazykay wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:41 pmplease tell me how to reinstall lm.
I told you how to find that information (in my replies 6 and 4 posts earlier than this one). However, they do assume you have access to a working computer (of any OS), a web browser, and an internet connection.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Krazykay wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Given that I have a blank disc, please tell me how to reinstall lm. Editing options on the grub menu didn't help whatsoever.
First go here and download the ISO image correct for you system https://linuxmint.com/ ( 64bit MATE version )
Once downloaded make a boot-table DVD https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... /burn.html
Once created search online for your model of computer and its boot options, this will be either Bio's or UEFI.... simply pressing f12 when you first turn the machine on will often bring up the boot menu.
When your DVD is booted and you're at the live desktop click the install mint icon then follow the instructions posted earlier in the thread.

Return to “Beginner Questions”