[SOLVED] Disable Alt-Mouse drag

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eucalyptus

[SOLVED] Disable Alt-Mouse drag

Post by Eucalyptus »

Using Linuxmint 18.3 & Cinnamon 3.6.6

- Alt is pressed (and hold)
- mouse left click somewhere in the window (not on the title bar) and hold the mouse button pressed
- dragging the mouse

Currently this move the entire window. I would like to disable this behavior, i.e the mouse should ignore the status of the Alt button. This is because I prefer to use the Alt-mouse drag for another application.

I hope this is possible and how to do it?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Disable Alt-Mouse drag

Post by catweazel »

Eucalyptus wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:21 pm Alt-mouse drag
apt install dconf-tools

Run the dconf editor from the main menu. Navigate to org > cinnamon > desktop > wm > preferences and change the mouse-button-modifier.

Set it to <Ctrl> or <Super>, but don't leave it empty.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There is no need to install the dconf-editor, this setting is already present in the Cinnamon preferences GUI. Open the window settings -> behavior -> the second last option allows you to change it. Also disabling the feature can be done; there is no need to use another modifier key, if this shall not get used at all (user's choice).
Eucalyptus

Post by Eucalyptus »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 am There is no need to install the dconf-editor, this setting is already present in the Cinnamon preferences GUI. Open the window settings -> behavior -> the second last option allows you to change it. Also disabling the feature can be done; there is no need to use another modifier key, if this shall not get used at all (user's choice).
Thank you very much. Not sure what you meant by "the second last option" But there is an obvious option which is "Special Key to move & resize windows".
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [SOLVED] Disable Alt-Mouse drag

Post by Cosmo. »

Yes, I mean this which you marked with an arrow. The difference in counting (2nd last / 3rd last) comes, because I quickly checked in my Mint 17.3 system (there the now last option does not exist) and I was not aware, that in newer Cinnamon's an additional option had been added.

Return to “Beginner Questions”