Email address

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DouglasH

Email address

Post by DouglasH »

Hi, some time ago I installed Linux Mint Cinamon Rosa 18.2 onto my old NEC Versa 3100 laptop. All went well set up passwords etc with no problems. Now when I go int a internet site and I have to fill in my Email address I am not able to. Instead of "@" I get a quote mark. i.e sd90mach@gmail, instead it is sd90mach"gmail.com
Have just finished installing the latest updates and the problem still persites.
Can any one point me in the right direction to solve this minor iritation!!
Many thanks
Douglas Harrison
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Email address

Post by MrEen »

Hi Douglas, and welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing your keyboard settings might be incorrect. I don't use Cinnamon, but for me, Menu -> Settings -> Keyboard -> Layout is where I could change it.

In the meantime, if you need to enter @ anywhere, you can do this:

Press and hold in succession Ctrl Shift u then release all three and you will see an underlined u

Type 0040 then hit Enter

Now there should be an @ with the cursor right behind it.

Hope that helps.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

US keyboard instead of UK I'd guess. If you want to print @, press " and vice versa. Or change keyboard layouts as above
Go Steady, but keep going
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

You're using the American keyboard, change it in Settings to the UK / GB one.
DouglasH

Post by DouglasH »

Thanks for the ideas. Keyboard is on UK layout. Pressing the quote key is a good work around.
Douglas
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

MrEen wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:19 am Type 0040 then hit Enter

Now there should be an @ with the cursor right behind it.
No need to type the leading zeroes. Just '40' will do and save you a couple of keystrokes.

Return to “Beginner Questions”