[Solved] Chrome browser is locked

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

[Solved] Chrome browser is locked

Post by AZgl1800 »

Why do I have to enter my password just to run the Chrome browser?

this is a PITA and is totally unnecessary.

I just now, let the new updates install, one of which was for Chrome, but it did not do away with this aggravating situation.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kukamuumuka

Re: Chrome browser is locked

Post by kukamuumuka »

You use autologin, so your options are use normal login or set a blank password in the ~/.local/share/keyrings files. The last option is not recommend.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am this is a PITA and is totally unnecessary.
@administrollaattori is correct, but opinions differ on the security risk of setting a blank password. As you use autologon, you need to ask yourself if it's a further security risk to not use the keyring. I use autologon and one of the first things I do is disable the annoying keyring.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

catweazel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:16 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am this is a PITA and is totally unnecessary.
@administrollaattori is correct, but opinions differ on the security risk of setting a blank password. As you use autologon, you need to ask yourself if it's a further security risk to not use the keyring. I use autologon and one of the first things I do is disable the annoying keyring.
autologon - uti homines sint progressivi
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:16 am
Well, since I am retired, and this laptop never gets out of my view, I deem that it is a PITA and totally unneccessary.

autologon - and that humans are not progressive
tee hee, I had to have Google translate that for me, I thought I understood the Latin, but wasn't sure...

and now I have to ask, how do I edit that file, I can see it, but can't edit it.
I presume it has to be done inside Terminal?
Keyring file location.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:05 am and now I have to ask, how do I edit that file, I can see it, but can't edit it.
Close the browser and delete those keyring files and start the browser and set a blank password (enter).
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:03 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:05 am and now I have to ask, how do I edit that file, I can see it, but can't edit it.
Close the browser and delete those keyring files and start the browser and set a blank password (enter).
ha ha ha,

I was trying to make it hard............

that was a pleasure.... problem solved, thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”