Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
3hre
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by 3hre » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:22 am

When I try to set it to start up with my USB it says that it is blocked as well is my Ubuntu for some reason ~ and it has two different Ubuntus listed. When fully booting into Linux as normal I do get a message that Ubuntu is blocked related to a security patch/update but nothing any more specific than that. Ideas? I do love a good puzzle

User avatar
administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5164
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by administrollaattori » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:00 am

Disable Secure Boot from BIOS-settings.

3hre
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by 3hre » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:20 am

administrollaattori wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:00 am
Disable Secure Boot from BIOS-settings.
Done ~ and reorder boot sequence to work with my USB of TAILS and successfully booted up into TAILS *once*

So at some undetermined amount of time later I went to start up TAILS again the way I did the first time and nothing happened. I attempted to go back into BIOS (Lenovo Ideapad 310) the way I successfully did before and nothing. I can depress the NOVO key without issue but Mint loads in anyhow. I shut down and have rebooted multiple times with the same result

Other things I did which does not seem as if it would have impacted anything but will include just in case I am wrong:

I hit function an F10 save the BIOS boot up order changes I made
I, when playing and poking around in TAILS hit what appeared to be a downward pointing arrow in what looked like keyboard options pull down menu and within it said something about secure keyboard.

User avatar
michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by michael louwe » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:20 am

@ 3hre, .......
3hre wrote:.
.
Please refer to this link about creating EFI-capable Live Linux USB-sticks, eg better to use Rufus for Windows ... http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ting-media (Creating EFI-Bootable USB Drives)

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by asinoro » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:20 am

This is critical, can you apply any other changes in your BIOS?

3hre
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by 3hre » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm

I haven't actually been able to get into BIOS via the Novo button at all since last night ~ It just goes straight to starting Linux Mint

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by asinoro » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:41 pm

3hre wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm
I haven't actually been able to get into BIOS via the Novo button at all since last night ~ It just goes straight to starting Linux Mint
Pay attention to this, it happens after 23 Lenovo laptops they were blocked their BIOS simultaneously when they were upgraded to Ubuntu 17.10. Ubuntu somehow blocked the BIOS and likely Ubuntu again unblocked it.
Check this how was solved.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/984043/ ... 771#989771

User avatar
administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5164
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by administrollaattori » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:44 pm

3hre wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm
I haven't actually been able to get into BIOS via the Novo button at all since last night ~ It just goes straight to starting Linux Mint
Add custom entry for getting into BIOS-settings.

Code: Select all

gksu xdg-open /etc/grub.d/40_custom
.... a contents

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
    menuentry 'BIOS Setup' {
            fwsetup
    }
Save, quit and update grub.

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub

3hre
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by 3hre » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:12 am

administrollaattori wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:44 pm
3hre wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm
I haven't actually been able to get into BIOS via the Novo button at all since last night ~ It just goes straight to starting Linux Mint
Add custom entry for getting into BIOS-settings.

Code: Select all

gksu xdg-open /etc/grub.d/40_custom
.... a contents

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
    menuentry 'BIOS Setup' {
            fwsetup
    }
Save, quit and update grub.

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
And then following me entering those commands in the terminal, saving, and exiting what should I expect to see different in my ability to get into BIOS? And what of the command about executing TAILS?

User avatar
administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5164
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by administrollaattori » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 am

3hre wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:12 am
And then following me entering those commands in the terminal, saving, and exiting what should I expect to see different in my ability to get into BIOS?
Yes, if you have UEFI-bios on.

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by fabien85 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:19 am

Alternatively, use the following command to reboot into the BIOS :

Code: Select all

systemctl reboot --firmware-setup

3hre
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by 3hre » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:01 am

administrollaattori wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 am
3hre wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:12 am
And then following me entering those commands in the terminal, saving, and exiting what should I expect to see different in my ability to get into BIOS?
Yes, if you have UEFI-bios on.
Does this look right? I want to make sure before saving etc so I do not mess anything up

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

menuentry 'BIOS Setup' {
fwsetup
}#!/bin/sh
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

User avatar
administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5164
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by administrollaattori » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:21 am

3hre wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:01 am
administrollaattori wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 am
3hre wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:12 am
And then following me entering those commands in the terminal, saving, and exiting what should I expect to see different in my ability to get into BIOS?
Yes, if you have UEFI-bios on.
Does this look right? I want to make sure before saving etc so I do not mess anything up

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

menuentry 'BIOS Setup' {
fwsetup
}#!/bin/sh
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
It is OK.

3hre
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by 3hre » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:40 am

administrollaattori wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:21 am
3hre wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:01 am
administrollaattori wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 am

Yes, if you have UEFI-bios on.
Does this look right? I want to make sure before saving etc so I do not mess anything up

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

menuentry 'BIOS Setup' {
fwsetup
}#!/bin/sh
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
It is OK.
Result :(
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-03-24_00-37-32.png

User avatar
administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5164
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by administrollaattori » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:34 am

3hre wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:40 am
Result :(

Code: Select all

gksu xed /etc/grub.d/40_custom

3hre
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:59 pm

[Solved]Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by 3hre » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:01 am

Lenovo is a high maintenance SO with bad communication skills. To get in BIOS or the Boot Menu it is not just F12 but F12, F10, or F8 ~ because apparently no one knows for sure

But what it really was is Function + F12 ... and all for the low low price of a month of serenity and peace!

And then everything was so easy! TAILS installed and now I am working on my Lenovo Voodoo doll :twisted:

Thank you administrollaattori Michael, Fabien, and Asinoro for all your help!
administrollaattori wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:34 am
3hre wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:40 am
Result :(

Code: Select all

gksu xed /etc/grub.d/40_custom

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”