Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
3hre

Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by 3hre »

When I try to set it to start up with my USB it says that it is blocked as well is my Ubuntu for some reason ~ and it has two different Ubuntus listed. When fully booting into Linux as normal I do get a message that Ubuntu is blocked related to a security patch/update but nothing any more specific than that. Ideas? I do love a good puzzle
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by kukamuumuka »

Disable Secure Boot from BIOS-settings.
3hre

Post by 3hre »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:00 am Disable Secure Boot from BIOS-settings.
Done ~ and reorder boot sequence to work with my USB of TAILS and successfully booted up into TAILS *once*

So at some undetermined amount of time later I went to start up TAILS again the way I did the first time and nothing happened. I attempted to go back into BIOS (Lenovo Ideapad 310) the way I successfully did before and nothing. I can depress the NOVO key without issue but Mint loads in anyhow. I shut down and have rebooted multiple times with the same result

Other things I did which does not seem as if it would have impacted anything but will include just in case I am wrong:

I hit function an F10 save the BIOS boot up order changes I made
I, when playing and poking around in TAILS hit what appeared to be a downward pointing arrow in what looked like keyboard options pull down menu and within it said something about secure keyboard.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ 3hre, .......
3hre wrote:.
Please refer to this link about creating EFI-capable Live Linux USB-sticks, eg better to use Rufus for Windows ... http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ting-media (Creating EFI-Bootable USB Drives)
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

This is critical, can you apply any other changes in your BIOS?
3hre

Post by 3hre »

I haven't actually been able to get into BIOS via the Novo button at all since last night ~ It just goes straight to starting Linux Mint
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

3hre wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm I haven't actually been able to get into BIOS via the Novo button at all since last night ~ It just goes straight to starting Linux Mint
Pay attention to this, it happens after 23 Lenovo laptops they were blocked their BIOS simultaneously when they were upgraded to Ubuntu 17.10. Ubuntu somehow blocked the BIOS and likely Ubuntu again unblocked it.
Check this how was solved.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/984043/ ... 771#989771
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

3hre wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm I haven't actually been able to get into BIOS via the Novo button at all since last night ~ It just goes straight to starting Linux Mint
Add custom entry for getting into BIOS-settings.

Code: Select all

gksu xdg-open /etc/grub.d/40_custom
.... a contents

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
    menuentry 'BIOS Setup' {
            fwsetup
    }
Save, quit and update grub.

sudo update-grub
3hre

Post by 3hre »

administrollaattori wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:44 pm
Add custom entry for getting into BIOS-settings.

gksu xdg-open /etc/grub.d/40_custom
.... a contents

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
    menuentry 'BIOS Setup' {
            fwsetup
    }
Save, quit and update grub.

sudo update-grub
And then following me entering those commands in the terminal, saving, and exiting what should I expect to see different in my ability to get into BIOS? And what of the command about executing TAILS?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

3hre wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:12 am And then following me entering those commands in the terminal, saving, and exiting what should I expect to see different in my ability to get into BIOS?
Yes, if you have UEFI-bios on.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Alternatively, use the following command to reboot into the BIOS :

systemctl reboot --firmware-setup
3hre

Post by 3hre »

administrollaattori wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 am
3hre wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:12 am And then following me entering those commands in the terminal, saving, and exiting what should I expect to see different in my ability to get into BIOS?
Does this look right? I want to make sure before saving etc so I do not mess anything up

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

menuentry 'BIOS Setup' {
fwsetup
}#!/bin/sh
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

3hre wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:01 am
Does this look right? I want to make sure before saving etc so I do not mess anything up

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

menuentry 'BIOS Setup' {
fwsetup
}#!/bin/sh
It is OK.
3hre

Post by 3hre »

administrollaattori wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:21 am
3hre wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:01 am

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

menuentry 'BIOS Setup' {
fwsetup
}#!/bin/sh
It is OK.
Result :(
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

3hre wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:40 am Result :(

gksu xed /etc/grub.d/40_custom
3hre

[Solved]Re: Ubuntu and USB blocked in BIOS

Post by 3hre »

Lenovo is a high maintenance SO with bad communication skills. To get in BIOS or the Boot Menu it is not just F12 but F12, F10, or F8 ~ because apparently no one knows for sure

But what it really was is Function + F12 ... and all for the low low price of a month of serenity and peace!

And then everything was so easy! TAILS installed and now I am working on my Lenovo Voodoo doll :twisted:

Thank you administrollaattori Michael, Fabien, and Asinoro for all your help!
administrollaattori wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:34 am
3hre wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:40 am Result :(

gksu xed /etc/grub.d/40_custom

Return to “Beginner Questions”