Edit File Properties to remove tags or details

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
littlemawgly
Level 1
Level 1

Edit File Properties to remove tags or details

Post by littlemawgly » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 am

Hi, I've just started trying to use Linux instead of Windows 10 but I can't seem to do some of what i think are basic file operations in Linux.
I wish to edit the file properties/details - eg Title, etc, In Windows I only have to right click on the file in question, and unless it has been locked by someone else, I am able to edit or remove these details.
Right clicking in Linux shows me details but not many, even if I know that file has extra details I wish to remove or edit.
I have spent a few hours searching the web and help forums but I can't find any posts etc to do with this - it may be of course the terminology I use which is wrong, so I'm hoping someone will read this and understand what i am trying to do.
If there is no solution then I will be forced to stay with Windows as I need to be able to do these changes to files I download or are sent.
There seem to be many command line solutions but these all seem to be for bulk editing for removal of tags/metadata/changes.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Mark

Lord Boltar
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Edit File Properties to remove tags or details

Post by Lord Boltar » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:06 am

If you are wanting to edit MP3 tags or MP4 tags you can use EasyTag

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:48 am

You're not 100% clear but I think you mean tag editing. I've never seen a Linux file manager that does that but you could install a tag app as mentioned above and open files with that after right clicking.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:48 am

I suspect the term you are missing in your searches is metadata There's lots of pages about it, Windows and Linux...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metadata_removal_tool

The program in Windows that shows you the metadata and allows you to edit it is not really the OS, it's the Windows 10 File Manager, so an exact match in Linux is simply not possible.
In Chapter One, Boron slays the entire Marketing Department by explaining Asynchronous Protocols.

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:52 pm

littlemawgly wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 am
In Windows I only have to right click on the file in question, and unless it has been locked by someone else, I am able to edit or remove these details.
Like this. with thunar?
metadata.jpg
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Return to “Newbie Questions”