internet connectivity: some sites work, others don't

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joerg721

internet connectivity: some sites work, others don't

Post by joerg721 »

Dear friends

I am converting my computers from Windows to Linux Mint 18.3.
I had no problems with a Dell D520 (from 2006) and a Lenovo 120S (brand new), so I dared to go Linux with my daily driver, too.
Now I am running into a strange problem...

It is a Dell Latitude e6520, and the desktop I am using is Cinnamon (the others two are on XFCE).
I am connected to my Router and everything seems to be ok EXCEPT I can't open a lot of internet pages. Google, Youtube and many others are working fine, but for example linuxmint.com just won't open ("Firefox can't establish a connection to the server.") Of course I made sure these sites are up; no problems opening them on my Lenovo 120S at the same time.

Here I found somebody with the same problem:
https://www.linuxmintusers.de/index.php?topic=39830.0

Alas, it does not solve my problem.
When I start pppoeconf from the terminal, it says "scanning devices" and ends with this error message:

Code: Select all

Sorry, I scanned 2 interfaces, but the Access Concentrator of your provider did not respond. Please check your network and modem cables. Another reason foir the scan failure may also be another running pppeo process which controls the modem.
Any ideas welcome...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
joerg721

Re: internet connectivity: some sites work, others don't

Post by joerg721 »

confused.... after some hours of researching and changing NOTHING, my machine all of a sudden decided to load all pages.

Sorry, guys.
I will check tomorrow if it stil works and will mark the topic as "solved".
joerg721

Re: internet connectivity: some sites work, others don't

Post by joerg721 »

Oh well.
It seems the problem is my repeater, or the communication between my e6520 and the repeater.
I think I will have to throw it out of the windows (the repeater, not the notebook).

Return to “Beginner Questions”