USB drives not showing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pbolger

USB drives not showing

Post by pbolger »

since moving to Mint 18 I'm only seeing five entries in Nemo's My Computer section.

I've tried dragging and dropping etc but can't work out how to add folders to it.

Can anyone help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: USB drives not showing

Post by kyphi »

Re USB drives not showing - go to System Settings (in your main menu), Preferences, Desktop and turn "Mounted volumes" to ON.

Re adding or removing items in Nemo's My Computer section, go to Bookmarks (in Nemo) and use "Add Bookmark" and "Edit Bookmarks".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
pbolger

Post by pbolger »

Thanks.

The usb drive thing was, I think, a problem with the card reader hardware.

I see now that 'My Computer' is essentially a second folder of bookmarks. Is it possible to create new folders in this tree, or are you restricted to the two supplied?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Using the Bookmark function you can add as many items as you need.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
pbolger

Post by pbolger »

I meant, can you add folders beyond 'My Computer' and 'Bookmarks'?
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

You can mount a drive manually anywhere you have permissions to do so using the mount command if this is what you're after

Use

Code: Select all

lsblk
to identify the drive, represented here by sda and the partition number.

sda              8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk  
├─sda2           8:2    0  99.5G  0 part  
├─sda3           8:3    0 365.8G  0 part  
└─sda1           8:1    0   500M  0 part  
Make a directory wherever you wish, in this case desktop, and call it USB for example. Then run

sudo mount /dev/sda2 ~/Desktop/USB
You can then use the device in the same way you would any other directory providing you have permissions to do so for your current user account.

Use

sudo umount
to unmount the same device /dev/ and destination path ~/Desktop/USB

You can also use fstab to automatically mount drives at boot but this isn't advisable when using removable media such as USB drives.

If this isn't what you're looking for you need to explain your requirement a little clearer :)
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

pbolger wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:27 pm I meant, can you add folders beyond 'My Computer' and 'Bookmarks'?
Doubtful.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The 3 main sub headings are

1. My Computer
2. Devices
3. Network

You can expand the entries under "My Computer" using "Bookmarks". "Home" is a permanent sub-heading.

"Devices" shows your partitions on storage media other than where your main operating system resides. If you have more than one hard drive or SSD their partitions will show up there and will mount if you click on them (same behaviour as inserting a USB stick).

A permanently mounted drive will show in Nemo under File System which makes that entry a permanent subheading similar to "Home".

Network will show other computers connected to your router/modem that you may link to.

PS - The above is how it is on my Desktop computer. It appears that my Laptop shows some variations. So, take it all as "broadly speaking" and with a grain of salt :)
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”