Trouble installing virtualbox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Trouble installing virtualbox

Post by Termy »

MrEen wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:32 pm Maybe purging vbox* as well?
There are no such packages. There are a small amount of *vbox*, but they don't seem to be relevant here. Just isdn ones:

Code: Select all

Description-en: ISDN utilities - answering machine dependency package
 Let your Debian system be your answering machine! Messages can be accessed
 remotely, automatically emailed, etc.
 This package depends for convenience on both the vbox server (with which
 the messages are recorded) and the client (with which you listen to them).
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
PlantMP

Post by PlantMP »

Termy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:34 pm or, you could try going to an also-supported, LTS kernel, version 4.4, and then install the repositories standard virtualbox package as you likely originally did. If 4.4 works fine on your hardware, I would personally go that route, ... well actually, I did. :P
Did and redid everything they said in previous page and same error appears.
Would you mind providing links to this 4.4 version w/ matching extension, guess packages?
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

This is a newer Kabylake-based laptop - going back to 4.4x is certainly not recommended.

Fire up Package Manager (Synaptic): search for anything named virtualbox. Mark them for complete removal, hit apply. Reboot.
Right-click/double-click on the virtualbox-5.2_5.2.6-120293~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb. Gdebi will pop up - follow instructions to install.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

PlantMP wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:28 am ...
Sorry, I forgot to add sudo to the rest of the command. Based on the error you report, the old VBox is still installed. Do this in a terminal:

sudo apt remove --purge virtualbox*
The code above assume you're using Mint 18.x. If you're using 17.x then change apt to apt-get. Afterwards, repeat the installation instructions above.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
PlantMP

Post by PlantMP »

thx-1138 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:59 pm Fire up Package Manager (Synaptic): search for anything named virtualbox. Mark them for complete removal, hit apply. Reboot.
Right-click/double-click on the virtualbox-5.2_5.2.6-120293~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb. Gdebi will pop up - follow instructions to install.
Tried. Right clicking on a file doesn't give the "Mark for removal" option. All of them "Mark for installation"
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...then this means that no Virtualbox packages are installed whatsoever. And theoritically, you should be able to proceed with the newer 5.2.6.
The only thing that comes to mind if installation doesn't proceed normally from here on, is if for some extra weird reason, the older modules weren't properly uninstalled / removed somehow.

Search your drive for vbox: do you find any .ko modules under /lib/modules/4.13.0-32-generic/misc?

Edit: actually, one more thing that comes to mind - do you by any chance have Secure Boot enabled in your BIOS? It's known to interfere in the past, try disabling it first.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Or perhaps the OP already executed the command I suggested previously, which does the same thing you suggested:

sudo apt-get remove --purge --autoremove virtualbox{,-\*}
PlantMP

Post by PlantMP »

Termy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:27 am Or perhaps the OP already executed the command I suggested previously, which does the same thing you suggested:

I did this yet again and can still see virtualbox files in Synaptic Package Manager.
What do I do now?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

PlantMP wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:15 am

I did this yet again and can still see virtualbox files in Synaptic Package Manager.
What do I do now?
Are they shown as installed, marked green in the box? If not then the uninstall process must have gone through.
PlantMP

Post by PlantMP »

Marziano wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:27 am Are they shown as installed, marked green in the box? If not then the uninstall process must have gone through.
I see.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

It really beats me if they are still installed :?
Let's see what others can come up with.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Sounds like they were removed but the OP was confused about how synaptic works, so the OP should be able to install the 5.2 version from the website. Hopefully. I agree with whomever it was who said not to use kernel version 4.4, as I didn't realise the OP was on such new hardware.
PlantMP

Post by PlantMP »

bump
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Not clear whether you understood Termy's comment. Most things listed in Synaptic aren't installed, only items marked in green. Looks like you have a clean slate.

Try this set of commands, based on a script MintBean posted a few months ago, which in turn is based on the official Oracle instructions. Run one line at a time:

echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian xenial contrib" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
apt update
apt install virtualbox-5.2
I've used this script on three separate installations, so pretty sure it will work for you. Good luck and report back.

Return to “Beginner Questions”