[SOLVED but not fixed]UDP VPN on router conflict?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED but not fixed]UDP VPN on router conflict?

Post by Charlie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 am

This may not sound Mint related but it is, as when I select a UDP option in OpenVPN on my router some sites including this one cease to work properly, while others are faster.

My question is, is this because Linux Mint is set to use a TCP connection and because I used UDP it conflicted? If so how can I remedy this the next time I make that UDP selection?

https://support.ivacy.com/kb/vpn-servers/
Last edited by Charlie on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Re: UDP VPN on router conflict?

Post by catweazel » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:27 am

Charlie wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 am
My question is, is this because Linux Mint is set to use a TCP connection and because I used UDP it conflicted?
No. UDP is the correct protocol.
how can I remedy this the next time I make that UDP selection?
Try a different server.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:49 am

It just seemed odd that UDP using port 53 would throw up problems when TCP using port 80 does not. I have never had that happen outside of the Linux environment.

I will try another UDP server. When it comes to streaming anything people always recommend UDP so it is an important thing.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:14 am

Okay I tried the German UDP server this time on this site, I was able to browse but trying to post returned an error. Other sites brought up the index page but further navigation returns a server timeout error in browser.

Screenshot at 2018-02-20 12-08-11.png
This is what happened when I tried to post on this Mint forum/site.
Last edited by Charlie on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 am

Tried a different browser, this time Firefox and I get the same behaviour.

Screenshot at 2018-02-20 12-43-21.png
Tried another site I was having navigation errors with.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:16 am

Tried creating a rule in Mint's firewall but it changes nothing. Opened a technical support ticket at Ivacy.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:24 pm

I received one meaningless reply form Ivacy tech support. Awaiting their further investigation, won't hold my breath on this one. Chromium browser upgraded tonight, along with a few Mint 'things', so tested UDP servers again with the same results.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:17 am

We apologize for the inconvenience that you have faced so far. We would request you to please follow the below steps in order to configure VPN on your Linux through command line (terminal);

Press CTRL+ALT+T to access the terminal. Run command: sudo apt-get install openvpn
After entering the administrator password, install the necessary packages.

Run command: wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/ivacy-apps/ope ... onfigs.zip
Access the home directory, and access the OpenVPN files located there.

Run command: unzip linux-files.zip
The command will extract the configuration files, which can be located in the home directory.

Run command: cd “Linux OpenVPN Updated files”/
Using the command the working directory can be changed.

Run command: sudo cp ca.crt TCP/* UDP/* Wdc.key /etc/openvpn/
The command will copy and replace OpenVPN configuration files within to/etc/openvpn

Run command: cd /etc/openvpn/
The command will cause a change in the working directory.

Run command: sudo openvpn GERMANY-TCP.ovpn
In this case the German-TCP server is used to connect to the VPN as an example. You are free to choose any server that best fits your requirements. In order to view all available servers and their names, press the Tab key twice immediately after sudo openvpn.

After Enter Auth Username, enter your VPN’s username.

After Enter Auth Password, enter your VPN’s password.

An initialization sequence will commence, and upon completion will present connection logs.

Disconnect VPN:

If your VPN connection works fine, here are a few additional steps that need to be followed in order to prevent having to enter the required VPN credentials over and over again while trying to connect to your VPN service:

If the VPN is connected, disconnect it immediately. Run command: cd /etc/openvpn/

Run command: sudo sed -i “s/auth-user-pass/auth-user-pass pass.txt/g” *.ovpn
The command will result in adding pass.txt right after auth-user-pass within all available .ovpn files.

Run command: sudo nano pass.txt

P.S: Currently we have limited OpenVPN servers as mentioned in our server list: https://support.ivacy.com/kb/vpn-servers/
We would request you to please switch to different servers and also switching to different protocols.

Feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Regards,
Ivacy Support Team.
The problem being that I run OpenVPN on my router. And none of the UDP servers work.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:37 am

My next step I think is to wipe DD-WRT from my router and install the latest bleeding edge version. But do it cleanly following strictly the 30-30-30 process. This issue could be with OpenVPN on my router within DD-WRT.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 am

Thanks for contacting us. You are requested to please change DNS on your router and use following DNS then check.
208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Moreover, You are suggested to simply enable the DNSmasq from Services on your router and add the parameter given below then try again and check. Also share the results with us.

interface=tun0
no-dhcp-interface=tun0

Please follow this image for reference:
<DD-WRT.png>

Regards,
Felix
Ivacy Support Team.
Well this didn't work. My money is on a problem with either Mint or DD-WRT. Disabled Bind9 on Mint to simplify the situation and using routers DNS.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:31 am

Tried browsing via my phone WiFi, same thing, index pages are displayed but hyperlinks when clicked result in a timeout. So it can't be Mint. It must be either server config at their end or DD-WRT. My config of DD-WRT cannot be responsible, security is off, changing to a UDP server involves changing two things on the German server. The port from 80 to 53 and the protocol from TCP to UDP. Very simple. The IP address for this server does not change.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Thank you for contacting us, we apologize for the issue, we have checked your connections and they seem fine at our end, you are requested to try with the different server location or address instead of the server IP then try to connect and share a result with us, so we may check and assist you accordingly.

Just to remind, we use 35 for UDP and 80 for TCP.

However, you may also try the port from 5500 - 55000 for Both TCP and UDP.

They've been tweaking the servers I think as I now get a sign of life from some, but not fixed. Told to use port 35 for UDP which will not connect on any server, nor will the high ports. 35 has to be a typo, as 53 does at least connect on most. If they were this good setting up their servers I think I know why they don't work.

You get what you pay for I suppose.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED but not fixed]UDP VPN on router conflict?

Post by Charlie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:47 am

Thank you for contacting Ivacy Support.

You are advised to please use the below mentioned IP's first with Port 53 and then with any Port in between 5500 - 55000 in your router and then check if you are able to connect.

UK: 172.111.150.2 and 172.111.157.2 and 193.150.11.252 and 191.101.59.189 and 78.129.156.2

Germany: 185.130.205.188 and 185.145.64.4 and 45.74.4.2 and 172.111.200.2

Feel free to contact on further queries/issues.

Regards,

Ivacy Support Team
The second German IP is the only IP to connect on port 53 but none would using the high ports. What a joke.

Return to “Newbie Questions”