[SOLVED] Trouble installing a tar.gz program

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RunAmuck

[SOLVED] Trouble installing a tar.gz program

Post by RunAmuck »

Hello everyone!

I am trying to install a a program (V-Planner) and it is supposed to be available for Linux.
I downloaded the tar.gz file and am trying to figure out how to install it.
When I go to the readme it says:
"Copy the correct binary to your favorite /bin location.
Set the execute permissions on."

What does that mean?
I copied the downloaded tar.gz file to the /bin folder but cannot figure out what to do next.

Any insight would be appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Trouble installing a tar.gz program

Post by jimallyn »

Here's what I did: I have a Progs folder on my computer, which is where I download programs to. I created a V-Planner folder in my Progs folder, and that is where I downloaded V-Planner to. Then I opened up the file manager, and navigated to the V-Planner folder. I right clicked on the v-planner_3.91.0.tar.gz file, then clicked Extract here. That extracted the v-planner_3.91.0 folder. I double clicked that folder and in it I found a couple of files, and a couple of folders: i386-linux and x64-linux. Having a 64 bit processor, I double clicked the x64-linux folder. In that folder I found the vplanner executable file. I right clicked it, then clicked Properties, Permissions, and checked the box for Allow executing file as program. Then I clicked the Close button to close the Properties dialog. I double clicked the vplanner file, and the program started. You could move the vplanner executable file to your desktop, or add it to the Menu, or however you prefer to start it.

When I was a kid me and a buddy of mine found a tank that was intended for god-only-knows what gas. It had a fitting on it like you have on your tires to pump them up. We filled it up at the service station, and rigged a hose to it. Then we dove underwater with it, and breathed from the hose on the tank. I'd say we're probably very lucky we didn't manage to kill ourselves, but we sure had fun being able to stay under water for a few minutes.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I just looked at the V-Planner dl site, and the Linux version says it's for "Fedora, Ubuntu, Redhat, SuSU, GNU Linux and more". Then, if you hit the dl button it just has one tar.gz file for all those distros. That isn't encouraging ... not all Linux systems are equivalent. The fact they spelled SUSE isn't encouraging either.

Linux novices are usually advised to avoid installing from tar.gz files, for good reasons. ANd that's for ones that aren't likely to need as much fiddling as this probably would.

I found this, which does seem to have better Linux support ...

https://subsurface-divelog.org/download/
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There is a PPA offered for Ubuntu and Mint. Why not using this?
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

RunAmuck wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:48 am I copied the downloaded tar.gz file to the /bin folder but cannot figure out what to do next.
I'd do as jimalyn suggested, it ran fine from my home folder too. I like to run these kinds of programs from my home folder so I don't have to use my sudo password to modify or move them.
jimallyn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:08 am I double clicked the vplanner file, and the program started. You could move the vplanner executable file to your desktop, or add it to the Menu, or however you prefer to start it.
I typically create a launcher on my desktop and point it to the executable.
Cosmo. wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:04 am There is a PPA offered for Ubuntu and Mint. Why not using this?
I didn't see one offered on the official site so it is understandable that the OP may not have found it, in fact I couldn't find a .deb at all.
Can you provide a link?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

RunAmuck wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:48 amWhen I go to the readme it says:
"Copy the correct binary to your favorite /bin location.
Set the execute permissions on."
There are two executable files in that archive, one for 32bit, one for 64bit, both named "vplanner".
Extract the one you want and copy it to
/home/<username>/bin/.
and do

Code: Select all

chmod +x /home/<username>/bin/vplanner
If you don't have /home/<username>/bin/, create it, then log out/in.
To run it type

Code: Select all

vplanner
in a terminal.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

stormryder wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:43 pm I didn't see one offered on the official site so it is understandable that the OP may not have found it, in fact I couldn't find a .deb at all.
Can you provide a link?
Hm, I'm astonished. On the page, which has been linked by Hoser Rob, the advice for adding the PPA is hard to overlook in the section about Ubuntu (with Mint expressively noted).
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 amLinux novices are usually advised to avoid installing from tar.gz files, for good reasons.
Dang straight. I'm definitely not a Linux "novice" and even I for absolutely sure avoid compiling; it's messy and opens you up to a number of issues. Since I started with Linux, I can count the number of times I've needed to compile on one hand, maybe two at a stretch, and a couple of those times were probably down to me messing around with programming in C. :roll:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:20 pm On the page, which has been linked by Hoser Rob
Thank you for that clarification. I was referring to the software that the OP originally indicated he wanted to use, V-Planner, which I found here.
http://www.hhssoftware.com/v-planner/download.php
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

It seems like some of you are confused as to what the original poster wants.

There are two really nice diving applications "subsurface" and "v-planner".

"v-planner" is a self-contained archive file, that all you have to do is extract the archive file, and it is ready to run as "jimallyn" and "Flemur" explained, there is no need to compile it like some other software.

"SubSurface" has a few installation options from their PPA, Deb files, AppImage file, etc... There are a lot of nice new features and options in this newer version.

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

phd21 wrote:a self-contained archive file, that all you have to do is extract the archive file, and it is ready to run
Aaaah, didn't realise -- my bad. Most archives are installed by compiling from source, so I think it was a natural assumption. :P
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Termy, RunAmuck, and Everyone Else,

I would agree that compiling software from source code is certainly not for newbies (new users of Linux or any OS) and that most archive files (.tar.gz) from software developers usually do require compiling before installing or working.

I have noticed over the past couple years that more and more software developers are providing archive files (tar.gz, zip, 7z, etc...) with their software in what I call "self-contained" (already compiled, ready to run and use) archive files that only require downloading the archive file, right-clicking it and extracting it, checking for permission to run their startup executable program file, then double-clicking its executable program startup file to run it. And it is simple to create a desktop shortcut launcher (or menu item) to the application's startup program. FYI: The software developers usually have instructions on how to install their software on their website or from an article about the software on a website, but if not, ask here.

I also recommend with these type of applications that if you downloaded and extracted some software to your "/Downloads" folder, that you move the application's folder or file to your "/Home" folder before creating desktop launcher shortcuts or menu items. I created an "Apps" and or "Apps-Misc" folder underneath my "/Home" folder to put all software that does not install in a typical Linux method in that folder (directory) to make it easier for me to identify and manage those software packages.

FileManager_v-planner.jpg
v-planner1.jpg
subsurface1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
RunAmuck

Post by RunAmuck »

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for your help. As always I am amazed at the level of support this community provides!

Return to “Beginner Questions”