Occasional startup and USB issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doonit
Level 1
Level 1

Occasional startup and USB issues

Post by doonit »

Hi. I've got a Samsung all-in-one desktop computer running Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. Lately on startup and immediately after the Samsung splash screen (before Linux starts) it sticks with a large cursor flashing in the top left of the screen. Several startup attempts usually will get it starting correctly.

Also, very often and this seems to have started at the same time, it will not register USB storage devices in the file browser. The USB transmitter for the wireless keyboard/mouse always seems to work, however.

Seems to me I have a bios issue, right?

I use Linux because I hate the alternatives but I'm no geek. Please ask me if there's any info that would help here.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Occasional startup and USB issues

Post by Mute Ant »

You might try setting the hard drive to be the only device that the BIOS is allowed to look at during boot. My BIOS defaults to...
BOOT ORDER: Floppy: Optical: Removable: Hard drive
...which is okay up to the 'removable' step. Any USB store that has an MBR but no actual boot code, such as is produced by the fdisk command, will freeze my machine just as you describe.

Even then, some USB sticks have firmware that declares the store as a 'fixed' drive and they appear in the Hard Drive section. I resorted to switching off all the automatic boot-device logic anf press F8 to choose my boot-drive manually.

Return to “Beginner Questions”