[SOLVED] thanks!!! Restoring 32bit to 64bit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
see3ducks
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] thanks!!! Restoring 32bit to 64bit

Post by see3ducks »

I have 17.3 32bit XFCE, I am planning on getting a 64 bit computer. What happens if I try to restore my home directory files created under 32 bit to a 64 bit computer? I am wondering about:
1) software selection
2) Thunderbird (mostly the profiles) accounts and address book

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The value of your knowledge is determined by your ability and willingness to share it with others.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Restoring 32bit to 64bit

Post by Termy »

I can forsee some issues with programs saving configurations meant for a 64-bit architecture. I think for the most part it should be OK, but definitely imagine some things will break and need their configuration files regenerated. Back up what you currently have in your HOME and then restore into it. If it breaks stuff, just restore and perhaps consider moving over files and directories one at a time, based on what you really need, such as Thunderbird's.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Restoring 32bit to 64bit

Post by Cosmo. »

If you switch the archiecture, you need to install the programs anew. You cannot use 32 bit applications in a 64 bit environment.

Regarding TB: Should be no problem, except you have an extension, which is explicitly designed for 32 bit. I have tested this case several years ago, where I copied a TB profile from a 32 bit system to a 64 bit system.

Return to “Beginner Questions”