mouse focus delay [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
orwel01

mouse focus delay [SOLVED]

Post by orwel01 »

Hi folks,
is there a possibility to set a delay for mouse focus (Settings-Preferences-Windows-Behavior-Windows focus mode - Mouse)? In Windows it is possible, you can set a delay for focusing, which is great in some cases (e.g. using 2 LibreOffice windows in Tile mode makes almost impossible without delaying to use a small LO-window (e.g. for Fields), if it is opened on second document - by moving the mouse to this small Fields window - for example only to change its position activates the second document:(
I can not find some functionality for delaying the focusing...
Thank.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: mouse focus delay

Post by Cosmo. »

What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Do not forget this in the future.

I don't think, that this is doable in Cinnamon (in case you use it).
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Cosmo wrote:You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Unless I've overlook some rule somewhere, this is not a requirement, but it does often come in handy so we can get an overview of the system.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Termy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 am
Cosmo wrote:You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Unless I've overlook some rule somewhere, this is not a requirement, but it does often come in handy so we can get an overview of the system.
Who said it was in the forum rules??? You need to provide that info because it's usually not possible to solve problems without it. That doesn't need to be put in the rules.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

It wasn't specified, but now it is. Ambiguity causes misunderstandings.
orwel01

Post by orwel01 »

Sorry for that..
My Version is Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Termy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 am
It is a requirement in very most cases. Shall we do a statistic, in how many support threads this information is missing? This is an example, where a question is not answerable without the basic system specs. A requirement does not get defined by rules, but by experience. But as you asked for a rule: I recommend to read section II #5 to refresh the remembrance before such an objection.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Okidoke, Cosmo, I had a look. Thanks for the link. I see "List any relevant hardware or software specifications." It doesn't say you are required to use inxi, it says inxi is a "useful terminal command". A guideline and rule are not the same thing, as I understand it. To be honest, I'm not sure why we're discussing this. I merely pointed something out to avoid ambiguity. lol I'm leaving this thread alone now, unless it benefits the OP. :) No ill-will was ever meant.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Termy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:09 am It doesn't say you are required to use inxi
Nobody said that, so what is your point? (It was not me, who made the objection against my formulation.) My text goes like that:
Cosmo. wrote:You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Inxi is a kind of service for the users, as we found in the past, that the simple question for the desktop environment ended in all kind of useless replies; for example we got instead the codename of the (already known) Mint version or complete misunderstanding ("What do you mean?"). At the end we came near to a hot topic, before we could really start to investigate into an issue. - And I admit, after some time of doing support it gets annoying to rerun the same question again and again. So I came to my current text in the hope, that after some time at least a part of the questioners remember it, when the open a new thread.

And one point more: You can read in my text, that I ask at first for Mint version and DE. Only after this question I offer the inxi command as a service. So it is untrue to say, that I demand the inxi output - although I recommend it.
orwel01

Post by orwel01 »

Hi Cosmo, Termy, Hoser Rob,
Although I am really glad you read the forum and help people... please... maybe you could discuss the rules change in another post? I am really waiting for an answer for my question and i feel my question is lost in your discussion :( This post was originally about the possibility of a mouse focus delay :D

As Cosmo wrote, should I except it is not possible to do in Cinnamon?

Many thanks.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I did another look (after knowing the desktop) and there seems to be a hidden option. Install dconf-editor and navigate in the left pane to org -> cinnamon -> desktop -> wrm -> preferences. There is the value auto-raise-delay. I did never test this (I use the default focusing mode), but it might do what you want. Try it. The maximum delay you can set there is 10 seconds.
orwel01

Post by orwel01 »

Many thanks Cosmo, this did the trick
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:38 am What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Cosmo., your hints might be better received if you'd make them sound less like an order. I suggest adding a 'please' here or there.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: mouse focus delay [SOLVED]

Post by Cosmo. »

What I write is more or less by content the same as the forum rules (II 5). I don't read any "please" there. I mean it as I write it. Actually there are forums, where help requests without proper information get silently deleted. I don't say, that I support it, but giving the needed information is not for my entertainment, but for the ability to give help at all. It are the users, who want help.

Besides that: Most users reply with a pardon me; so I don't see a problem. Users, who don't like it can simply ignore it - and have possibly to wait a longer time, until they get help. Their decision.

A quick look in this very thread demonstrates it. Not the OP felt offended; in the contrary, he excused himself. It was Termy, who completely was wrong with his objection, as the discussion above demonstrates perfectly.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It was a suggestion, so do with it as you wish. I made the suggestion because I feel that it would be more effective. Some people (like me!) dislike being ordered around even if what is being said is valid. We are more likely to listen to requests, proposals, advice or suggestions. Reasoning often works: if someone tells me 'You'll need to provide this information so we'll be able to help you' that will make me comply with their request real quick.
Even if you don't care about being polite, you might care about being effective.

The forum rules are, well... rules. Members cannot impose rules here, that's the forum admins' job. So I feel that there is a difference between a fellow forum member giving what sounds like an order, and the forum rules doing so.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Moem wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:06 am you might care about being effective.
Taken from the results - I am very effective. Even on this thread to be seen quite easily.

Actually your suggestion goes into the wrong direction. The loss of efficiency happens, because the users do not read or do not obey the forum rules. I remember, that Oscar799 wrote a year ago, that following his observation near to nobody reads them. So the problem lies on quite another place, than where you are searching it. If you are really convinced about your suggestion, edit the forum rules and add to the title "Please read". We will see, what happens; my prediction: nothing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”