Virtualbox WinXP guest with guest additions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Virtualbox WinXP guest with guest additions

Post by Cosmo. »

Let me begin with the simple part:

Until 18.2 there are VB guest additions preinstalled in Mint; a terrible mistake, which has been corrected in 18.3. So older advices for removing in a Mint guest the guest additions are not more current for 18.3. (Otherwise I would have told you.) So here is no problem.

Now comes the strange part:
jerson wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:16 am In both VMs, WinXP and LM18.3, the VT and nested paging are enabled in the VM offline settings screen. The runtime Host-n though shows nested paging disabled.
This would mean, that either the settings dialog or the runtime information show a wrong detail. Hm, I did never noticed that, but I have to admit, that I do not use VB 5.2.x, but 5.1.x for better stability. So from my own perspective I cannot judge about it. I did a quick look into the VB forum, but I did not find anything related to it.

One point is not really clear to me: Does Cinnamon run in your VM now in software rendering mode?

You might try to revert to VB 5.1.latest. You need to uninstall VB 5.2 at first, reboot the host, than install 5.1.32. Note, that the guest additions for this version have the same bug as for the latest 5.2 revision. You find a corrected version of the guest additions for 5.1.32 also on the main download page.
jerson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jerson »

Yes Cinnamon still runs in software rendering mode.
You might try to revert to VB 5.1.latest. You need to uninstall VB 5.2 at first, reboot the host, than install 5.1.32. Note, that the guest additions for this version have the same bug as for the latest 5.2 revision. You find a corrected version of the guest additions for 5.1.32 also on the main download page.
I think I'll give that a try today. thanks again
Regards
Jerson
jerson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jerson »

No luck with VB5.1 either. It behaves just the same. I uninstalled virtualbox via synaptic - removed totally - rebooted - installed VB5.1 - installed 5.1 extensions - started VM - installed 5.1guest additions - rebooted. Launched VM - still the same behaviour.

Nested paging and unrestricted execution = Inactive
Direct3d still does not work
cinnamon still comes up in software rendering mode.

I think, I should stop experimenting here. Not having direct3d, like I said earlier, is not a show stopper for me.

Should anyone find something I should try, do let me know. I will still like if it can work ;)

For now, I'm back to VB5.2.6(120293)
Regards
Jerson
jerson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jerson »

One question gets answered by the Help file in VBox

Intel added support for nested paging, which they call "extended page tables" (EPT), with their Core i7 (Nehalem) processors.

I have an early Quad Core CPU which belongs to the Core2 family, so, possibly nested paging is not supported on it.
Regards
Jerson
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Might be; a look into the data sheet for your processor (should be available on the Intel page) should clear this up. BTW: I have core i5 an Nested Paging works. Another thought: Even if the cpu supports a feature it is still possible, that the motherboard does not.

Return to “Beginner Questions”