Need help in fixing updates

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
christiannopre
Level 1
Level 1

Need help in fixing updates

Post by christiannopre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:29 am

I tried to install Wine and VM Player for some reason the intructions on their respective website did not help me on getting these application set up, instead they've caused me to mess something up and i have no idea on how to get this fixed.

The terminal command for "sudo" no longer works for reason and it also provides me with this error.
Screenshot from 2018-02-21 14-11-03.png
I've looked this up on google and some forums but only a few has the same issue as i have and the solutions provided from the results I've looked did not yeild any results.

I also tried updating through the software Center but unfortunately that also was affected and I am no longer able to updates through there and so as the Software Sources providing me with the same error as if i was using a "sudo" command
Screenshot from 2018-02-21 14-12-25.png

Please bear with me, I am a very dumb noob with all these.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Need help in fixing updates

Post by jimallyn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:03 am

You have somehow managed to get the word 'sudo' into your sources list (doesn't belong there). Open a terminal and enter inxi -r, then copy/paste whatever that spits out in your next message here.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:15 am

Also check in Users and Groups area, look under the group sudo, put a check in there for your user.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Post by all41 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:56 am

Regarding the repositories list--one bad apple can spoil the barrel.
Try opening Software Sources from you menu and press the 'Restore the default settings' button.
Then click the PPAs button and temporarily disable everything there.
Do the same for the Additional repositories button.

Press the 'Update the cache' button that becomes visible.
After that completes close out the Software Sources app and open the Update Manager, click the 'Refresh' button--after the list is populated click 'Install Updates' button.
That should allow you to update Mint.
Once Mint updates are completed you can re-enable your ppa list one at a time--you will find the bad one.

Also welcome to the forums :)
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

Return to “Newbie Questions”