[Solved] Why does vmware player in linux mint, always requires swap space/partition?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
darkwolf
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Why does vmware player in linux mint, always requires swap space/partition?

Post by darkwolf » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 am

I know that this question is not mint related, but i have tried vmware player in both ubuntu and lm distros and whenever i tried to start any vmware vm, i got an error saying "there is no enough swap space" or something like this, i have 8 gb of ram and usually only 1-2 gb are used on lm so i don't think i need swap partitions, how can i make vmware vm's work with physical ram like virtualbox?
Last edited by darkwolf on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

darkwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why does vmware player in linux mint, always requires swap space/partition?

Post by darkwolf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Why is not anyone answering? I think i made a legit question, why does vmware on linux mint (and some other distros i tried) requires swap space/partition? that's ABSURDITY. I want to run vmware virtual machines without swap spaces, just like virtualbox.

JerryF
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JerryF » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:49 pm

darkwolf wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:32 pm
Why is not anyone answering? I think i made a legit question, why does vmware on linux mint (and some other distros i tried) requires swap space/partition? that's ABSURDITY. I want to run vmware virtual machines without swap spaces, just like virtualbox.
Please give people a chance to read your post and give someone a chance who may be able to help.
Please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line if your problem has been solved. It helps other members.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:48 pm

I saw your post the other day, and it is a perfectly legitimate question. But I didn't reply to it because I don't know the answer. I would assume that others didn't respond to it for exactly the same reason. It does seem a bit odd that it would require swap when you have 8GB of RAM. I know in VirtualBox you can decide how much RAM to allocate to each virtual machine, and I would assume the same is true in VMWare? How much RAM did you allocate to your virtual machine?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Post by catweazel » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:33 am

darkwolf wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 am
i have tried vmware player in both ubuntu and lm distros and whenever i tried to start any vmware vm, i got an error saying "there is no enough swap space" or something like this, i have 8 gb of ram and usually only 1-2 gb are used on lm so i don't think i need swap partitions, how can i make vmware vm's work with physical ram like virtualbox?
https://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ ... _host.html

On reading that, it's a 'performance enhancement'.

The vmware configuration file should be /etc/vmware/config. You can try setting prefvmx.minVmMemPct = "100" so that the VM loads fully into host memory.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

darkwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darkwolf » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:23 am

catweazel wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:33 am
darkwolf wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 am
i have tried vmware player in both ubuntu and lm distros and whenever i tried to start any vmware vm, i got an error saying "there is no enough swap space" or something like this, i have 8 gb of ram and usually only 1-2 gb are used on lm so i don't think i need swap partitions, how can i make vmware vm's work with physical ram like virtualbox?
https://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ ... _host.html

On reading that, it's a 'performance enhancement'.

The vmware configuration file should be /etc/vmware/config. You can try setting prefvmx.minVmMemPct = "100" so that the VM loads fully into host memory.
Thanks!! this solved my problem.

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Post by catweazel » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:36 am

darkwolf wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:23 am
Thanks!! this solved my problem.
You're most welcome.

Cheers.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

Return to “Newbie Questions”