[SOLVED] Mint downloads arriving as .zip not ISO - assume I am the problem here..

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
StoOdin
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Mint downloads arriving as .zip not ISO - assume I am the problem here..

Post by StoOdin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:48 am

Apologies if this is too newbie even for this forum.

I'm trying to escape from Windows10 by installing Mint 18.3 Xfce 64-bit to my Sony Vaio netbook (details below), but all the links to the ISO files on the linuxmint.com list of mirrors show up as .zip files - I've downloaded from two sites and they arrive as .zip files at this end, too. I've tried to burn to an 8Gb USB drive via Yumi with predictably poor results ('No OS found' on boot); I've halfheartedly unzipped the files and tried to burn and boot, again with no success. As an alternative I installed Ubootnetin and downloaded the 17.4 64-bit version of Mint it offered, which managed to download and install and even boot up, but with horrendous error messages re 'Windows NTFS corruption' etc and a load of screen-flickering.

I found an entry on this forum from 2013 with the same problem, solved by uninstalling a WinRar compression app, but that doesn't I hope apply here. I'd be really grateful for some help over this first unexpected hurdle.

Vaio Netbook SVE1112M1EW, 4Gb RAM (AMDE2-1800 twin-core, 1.7MHz), UEFI boot, 350Gb free of 450Gb HD; running Windows 10 Home, build 10.10.10586.

Thanks for reading,

Andrew

SOLVED - renamed .zip download as .iso and burned to usb bootable using Unetbootin. Thanks for all suggestions and help

Andrew
Last edited by StoOdin on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mint downloads arriving as .zip not ISO - assume I am the problem here..

Post by Moem » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 am

What do you get when you unzip the files? A .zip is just packaging... what's inside?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 am

Has the file name extension been changed from iso to zip (xxx.zip) or has the zip extension been added (xxx.iso.zip)?

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:19 am

Posting the URL of the file you fetched would help everyone go and look at what you downloaded. If it's a Mint distribution it will be around 1700MB as a single file, like the ones on the end of this link...
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=249
The OS inside the file is already 'squashed' as a mountable read-only file system... it won't zip any smaller. The distribution is an ISO, ISO9660 compliant, but the first 32768 bytes include an MBR and a GPT which will confuse any OS and some BIOS. The 'zip' may be simply Windows' best guess at the file type.

BitTorrent download is better than using your browser.
[+] You can resume an interrupted download.
[+] The file is checked for integrity as it is fetched.
[+] Your machine can be a peer to share with other downloaders.

Burning an ISO to a DVD-R and verifying the burn. Even Windows 98 managed that.
[+] A 'finalised' DVD-R can't be modified by software. For example, gparted tries to 'mend' a booting USB.

Booting from a DVD-R.
[+] Mature. There's a 30-year history of IBM-PC machines booting from optical disks.
[+] Avoids installation confusion between the boot drive srN and the target drive sdX
[+] DVD-R are cheap... 1 shilling per GB... enough storage to hold the text of a KJV Bible 200 times.
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

StoOdin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StoOdin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:08 am

Mute Ant wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:19 am
Posting the URL of the file you fetched would help everyone go and look at what you downloaded. If it's a Mint distribution it will be around 1700MB as a single file, like the ones on the end of this link...
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=249
The OS inside the file is already 'squashed' as a mountable read-only file system... it won't zip any smaller. The distribution is an ISO, ISO9660 compliant, but the first 32768 bytes include an MBR and a GPT which will confuse any OS and some BIOS. The 'zip' may be simply Windows' best guess at the file type.

BitTorrent download is better than using your browser.
[+] You can resume an interrupted download.
[+] The file is checked for integrity as it is fetched.
[+] Your machine can be a peer to share with other downloaders.

Burning an ISO to a DVD-R and verifying the burn. Even Windows 98 managed that.
[+] A 'finalised' DVD-R can't be modified by software. For example, gparted tries to 'mend' a booting USB.

Booting from a DVD-R.
[+] Mature. There's a 30-year history of IBM-PC machines booting from optical disks.
[+] Avoids installation confusion between the boot drive srN and the target drive sdX
[+] DVD-R are cheap... 1 shilling per GB... enough storage to hold the text of a KJV Bible 200 times.
Thanks for this advice. I downloaded from the same URL as your link, ie https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=249. If I hover over any of the mirror files, I get the description as *.iso; but when I click on a download link my system offers me 'You are downloading filename.ISO which is Winzip file...' and as you say I guess that is just my OS deciding that will be the best description. There's no option to download as anything else, unless I choose to send the file to another application rather than Winzip. I'll take your advice and try a BitTorrent download, tho I have avoided BT to date.
Many thanks
Andrew
Attachments
LMZIP.odt
screenshot of zip file contents
(59.17 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by Moem on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote

StoOdin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StoOdin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 am

Cosmo. wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 am
Has the file name extension been changed from iso to zip (xxx.zip) or has the zip extension been added (xxx.iso.zip)?
On the download 'offer' screen I get 'filename.iso'; if I accept the download as a zip file it arrives as 'filename.zip'. I haven't been able to find a way of accepting the download except as a zip file - the screen does offer me the option to 'send' to another application, but I don't know which application would be feasible,

thanks for your reply,

Andrew

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am

2 things yoou might try:

1: Right click the download link and select to "save target as ..."

2. Rename the file by simply replacing the zip extension with iso. Then burn it to a dvd-r (or to an usb-stick. This might or might not work, but does not cost more than a few minutes.

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 am

it may also just be the Windows System best guess for that ISO:
- is as an *.ZIP file, which technically - it is.

you can use ISOburn to write that ISO to a silver disk:
http://isoburn.org/

you can use Rufus to write that ISO to a USB Stick:
https://rufus.akeo.ie/
or use LinuxLiveUsb:
https://www.linuxliveusb.com/

you can download that ISO with FreeDownLoadManager:
https://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
which is just an add-on for your Firefox Browser.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:59 am

Seems normal to me when I go to get the ISO via their site. Perhaps it's a mirror issue, so maybe trying a different mirror would help.

In any case, here's a download link (USA) to the Cinnamon version of 18.3, 64-bit, as the filename shows:

http://linuxfreedom.com/linuxmint/linux ... -64bit.iso
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:57 am

StoOdin wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:48 am
but all the links to the ISO files on the linuxmint.com list of mirrors show up as .zip files
They're .iso files. If you're ending up with zip files it's something your or windows(?) is doing.
No URL yet?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:09 pm

No mention of what's inside the .zip yet?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

StoOdin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StoOdin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks for all suggestions; just to note that the URL I am downloading from is the Linux website https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=249: and the resulting 'zip' folders downloaded are as in the attachment to my first reply, viz - .disk, boot, casper, dists, EFI, isolinux, pool, preseed, plus two files MD5SUMS and README.diskdefines. I've tried unsuccessfully burning the extracted archive to the USB as well as the .zip version.

I've now tried working round this by altering the properties of a 'winzip' download to rename the file as .iso, then burning a bootable USB via YUMI. All worked OK as far as it went, but still get a 'No operating system discovered' message on trying to boot up. I'm trying now to burn the USB with UnetBootin; and will try after that with Rufus before admitting defeat and going back to a uTorrent download.

Many thanks for all suggestions and apologies that a couple of my replies have gone a bit random, still trying to get the hang of the forum,

Andrew

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:49 pm

StoOdin wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:44 pm
I've now tried working round this by altering the properties of a 'winzip' download to rename the file as .iso, then burning a bootable USB via YUMI. All worked OK as far as it went, but still get a 'No operating system discovered' message on trying to boot up. I'm trying now to burn the USB with UnetBootin; and will try after that with Rufus before admitting defeat and going back to a uTorrent download.
That makes sense as a course of action; let us know how it goes. Also, if you can, try your USB drive on a different machine; it might be that the drive is fine but the computer is being stubborn.

JeremyB
Level 19
Level 19

Post by JeremyB » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:09 pm

Right click on the file and select properties and I hope it shows the file extension. ISO files are supported by Winzip so Windows would show it as a Winzip file

Return to “Newbie Questions”