how to add bluetooth loudspeaker

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jolexin
Level 1
Level 1

how to add bluetooth loudspeaker

Post by jolexin »

I do not see any function to search for a new bluetooth device and connect to it. Therefore I am unable to attach my loudspeaker to Linux Mint.
In the main menu I see "Einstellungen" and there is an item "Bluetooth", which has got two tabs "Geräte" and "Einstellungen", however, neither one allows for searching a new device.

Note that searching the user docs for bluetooth does not yield any result; the tutorial section is also silent about bluetooth!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: how to add bluetooth loudspeaker

Post by killer de bug »

On the second picture, we see clearly that the system is looking for new devices. But if your speakers are not on or hidden, then the system can't detect them...
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I've given up using the bluetooth manager (blueberry), install blueman from software manager. It will probably solve your problem.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
jolexin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jolexin »

Understood.

But my loudspeaker is on and sits right beside my PC; still I cannot connect to my PC. (Note that I could connect my loudspaker e.g. from my Win 10 tablet, from Ubuntu 16.4 on the same PC.)

Is it relevant to mention that I have got a multi-boot system (Ubuntu 16.4 and Linux Mint)?
- - -
Linux Mint 20 MATE 64bit XFCE
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Lots of people have bluetooth problems with mint, myself included. My device said paired, but no bluetooth option in "sound preferences" output. Is this what your experiencing ?If so then there may be a solution here.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/366032/ ... omatically
About a third the way down the page the answer with 10 votes has helped a few folks, if you don't mind a little editing of a couple config files. I have not tried it myself, because I don't have any real need for bluetooth. That post don't say but you would need to reboot for those changes to take effect.
Actually I'm going to apply those changes, reboot, and be back in a few.........
EDIT, those changes DOD NOT fix my blue tooth problem. No biggie, I don't need it.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:27 pm install blueman from software manager. It will probably solve your problem.
+1
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I know installing blueman has helped some people, but I am also "one of" who that does not help either. It's funny cause the computer recognizes the bluetooth device (knows it's name etc.) even says paired, but just no way you're getting any sound out of it.
Question for the smart people here, is there some way to force a bluetooth option in sound preferences ?
If you really need bluetooth speaker you could always use a 5 dollar dongle in the headphone jack.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
jolexin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jolexin »

Note that the installation of blueman did not solve my problem. (That was Andy MH's proposal). I am still unable to use my bluetooth loudspeaker with Linux Mint.

Anyway I am eager to understand the Bluetooth miracle, i.e. why does Bluetooth work with one Linux (e.g. Mate 16.4) and why does it refuse to work with other Linux such as Mint or why does it work only under certain (?) circumstances. The answer might become a contribution to the Bluetooth Wiki.
- - -
Linux Mint 20 MATE 64bit XFCE
Faust

Post by Faust »

rickNS wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 pm I know installing blueman has helped some people, but I am also "one of" who that does not help either. It's funny cause the computer recognizes the bluetooth device (knows it's name etc.) even says paired, but just no way you're getting any sound out of it.
Question for the smart people here, is there some way to force a bluetooth option in sound preferences ?
If you really need bluetooth speaker you could always use a 5 dollar dongle in the headphone jack.
There is something odd about Bluetooth speakers with laptops ( or PCs ) , but I really don't think it's a Mint issue .
Some friends had nice sounding speakers which they used with a tablet and/or phone as the source .... no problems .
So I bought the same model , and it wouldn't work with my Linux laptop , nor with a Win7 laptop , even though both
of those machines worked fine with other Bluetooth devices !

Then I tried it with a friends tablet ... perfect .
I contacted the seller who offered a full refund , and he told me that most of his returns were from laptop users ,
and that they would alter their ads to reflect this .

I cannot fathom what is going on here and it irritates me , but it is clearly " a thing " .

I'll post on a couple of electronics forums and maybe a Bluetooth wizard will see it ,
but for now it's a puzzler .....

Return to “Beginner Questions”