18.3/Windows 10 file sharing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PainInMyShinBrain

18.3/Windows 10 file sharing

Post by PainInMyShinBrain »

I've been digging through this issue for a while now with no luck.

I also realize that this has been asked many times around here but nothing I have found has resolved this.

My little network is two computers. My primary computer is win10, my second computer was windows 7 but the OS crashed and I thought it was a good opportunity to drop linux on it and get to know things a bit.

This computer really doesn't do much. The only real need it has is it needs access to a shared drive on my windows 10 computer. This being a fresh install and a computer that doesn't do much, I feel like I'm ok trying things out to get to know mint/linux and get it working. I re-installed the OS a few times while trying things out. I have since installed timeshift to just rollback to a freshly installed/updated state.

Some info:
-The drive is being shared with full access on both the file permissions and the share permissions granted to "Everyone"
-Currently both firewalls are off
-On windows box: Network discovery and file &printer sharing is on. No homegroup. Password protected sharing is off.
-On mint: when I click the network button on the right bar in nemo I get the folder for "Windows Network". When I open that it thinks for a few seconds then says "0 items"
-If I go File>Connect to server enter in server IP, select windows share and enter either Mint credentials or credentials for a local account on the windows computer a gold banner pops up on the top saying "Please verify your user credentials". Everytime when I re-enter and hit "Try again" the banner at the top of the window changes to "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out". If I hit "Try again" it bumps back to verify credentials message.

What am I missing? This seems like it should be a straight forward thing. Is this sort of thing just as difficult/easy on pretty much any linux distro? How about file sharing between two linux boxes? Once this windows box is getting closer to biting the dust I would like to replace it with linux as well but this is scaring me a bit.

Sorry if this should be in a different forum. Let me know if I should take it down and move it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: 18.3/Windows 10 file sharing

Post by trytip »

i can't comment of full file sharing through local networking but i found nitroshare installed in windows and linux can send files through your wifi or lan connections. install nitroshare in both windows/linux open them both up rightclick on the nitroshare systray icon and send files or directories
it's not very fast and not so reliable on huge files but at least you have a quick way to send documents or videos https://nitroshare.net/ sudo apt-get install nitroshare
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

These links are a good place to start:
HowTo: Installing Samba Server in Mint 18
the Microsoft way: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

-If I go File>Connect to server enter in server IP, select windows share and enter either Mint credentials or credentials for a local account on the windows computer a gold banner pops up on the top saying "Please verify your user credentials". Everytime when I re-enter and hit "Try again" the banner at the top of the window changes to "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out". If I hit "Try again" it bumps back to verify credentials message.
You mean like this:
SMB1-disabled.png
In my case I know exactly why that happens. Windows 10 disabled SMBv1 on the server end. With the version of the samba client libraries you are using in Mint it defaults to using SMBv1 so Win10 thinks you are speaking gibberish ( SMB1, SMB2, and SMB3 are referred to as dialects ).

If I edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and right under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line I add this line:

Code: Select all

client max protocol = SMB3
And save the file I can go back to Connect to Server and it will connect properly - well since this is done real time you may need to do it twice.

Unless Mint decides to deviate from Ubuntu again SMB3 will be the default in the next release of Mint. That will bring another set of issues but ....
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

PainInMyShinBrain

Post by PainInMyShinBrain »

altair4 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:18 pm If I edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and right under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line I add this line:

client max protocol = SMB3
And save the file I can go back to Connect to Server and it will connect properly - well since this is done real time you may need to do it twice.
Success!! Thank you for that! So simple and it got things working.

Just out of curiosity, how is file sharing between two linux computers? I plan to replace my windows computer with Linux at some point but this was a bit of a hassle.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

There are multiple ways to connect 2 Linux machines: NFS, SSH, Samba, ....

I use Samba because it is the default file sharing system used on all operaing systems - including Desktop Linux.

It does get way simpler between 2 Linux machines than with Windows in the mix.

[1] Install the samba server package - In Mint use:

sudo apt-get install samba --install-recommends
[2] Create an avahi / samba service file:

gksu xed /etc/avahi/services/samba.service
With this content:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?>
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
   <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h SMB</name> ## Display Name
   <service>
       <type>_smb._tcp</type>
       <port>445</port>
   </service>
</service-group>
[3] Set the client max protocol to SMB3 which you already did.

There are no Windows-specific protocols involved in this approach.

Now you may be thinking why isn't this all done by default? The short answer is it will be when Mint goes to the next release .... unless they choose not to.

Ubuntu 17.10 does [2] using a different approach but still using avahi by default.
** Ubuntu 18.04 does both [2] and [3] by default.

So in Ubuntu 18.04 you install samba, create your share which you can do from the file manager depending on what desktop you are using, and your machine becomes visible to every other Linux and macOS machine on your network. Ubuntu 18.04 will be the basis for Mint 19.

There are many penguinistas who believe that Samba is the result of a vast conspiracy between Microsoft, the American NSA, and space aliens so it should never be used in an all Linux network but I personally try to separate my religious beliefs from my technology use.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”