Linux mint 18.3 set me a password upon login, without me requesting it

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
marks18789
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint 18.3 set me a password upon login, without me requesting it

Post by marks18789 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:50 am

Hello,
for some reason, linux mint 18.3 started to ask me a password, while I've never set it. I was loading linux mint from USB drive and it never requested me for a password. I believe it happened after some kind of time out or it's something to do with a screen saver.
So, what is the password and user name? I believe it might be some kind of default one.
I've searched the Internet and I couldn't find an answer, which worked. I tried "admin, administrator, root, default, passwd, password" with all kinds of their combinations.

At least I need to know the desktop folder, where I can access my files.

Very disappointed about this kind of trivial bug is skipped by Linux QA or I don't see a good logic behind it, if it's not a bug. The work is locked for several days without any way to access it.

Thank you in advance!

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux mint 18.3 set me a password upon login, without me requesting it

Post by Moem » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:20 am

Did you actually install Mint to the USB drive, or were you running it 'live'? I suspect the latter.
If you don't know the difference, that confirms my suspicion.

Try username 'mint' and an empty password.

You should do an actual installation if you intend to keep using it. A 'live' medium cannot be kept updated, so it's unsafe.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:14 am

I agree, that parts of the starting post give the suspicion, that Mint was never properly installed. On the other hand:
marks18789 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:50 am
Something like "my files" do not exist on a live system for longer than a reboot.

If the system has been installed, you did define the password during installation yourself. You wouldn't even be able to complete the installation without defining it.

marks18789
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marks18789 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:49 pm

Hello,
Moem wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:20 am
Did you actually install Mint to the USB drive, or were you running it 'live'? I suspect the latter.
I installed it using the "Yumi", it creates multiple OS installations an USB flash drive. Nothing like that happened with 18.1. I am using it live, I believe.
Moem wrote:
Try username 'mint' and an empty password.
It behaves differently, if I am using it. It doesn't give me an error that pwd or user id is wrong, but returns me back to login screen.
Moem wrote:
You should do an actual installation if you intend to keep using it. A 'live' medium cannot be kept updated, so it's unsafe.
Right now the most important part is to get my files back... Why not to warn a user about that it's unsafe during the installation?
Last edited by marks18789 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:42 pm

marks18789 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:49 pm
Right now the most important part is to get my files back...
Did you shutdown or restart or switch to another OS since you last worked on your files? If so those files are lost from a live session.
Last edited by Superannuated on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marks18789
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marks18789 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:14 am
I agree, that parts of the starting post give the suspicion, that Mint was never properly installed. On the other hand:
marks18789 wrote:
Something like "my files" do not exist on a live system for longer than a reboot.

If the system has been installed, you did define the password during installation yourself. You wouldn't even be able to complete the installation without defining it.
I did as I was usually doing it, using the linux software. See the answer above.

marks18789
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marks18789 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Superannuated wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:42 pm
marks18789 wrote:
Did you shutdown or restart or switch to another OS since you last worked on your files? If so those files are lost from a live session.
After idling for a while, like I've said, it requested me for a password. I thought that restart would help and I did a restart.

pbear
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pbear » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sounds like Linux isn't a good fit for you. It requires the user to do the work figuring out how different tools fit together, often with very little documentation and always no warranties. In any event, the people here are merely users like you. Scolding us because you're frustrated is not only pointless but rude.

Anyhoo, assuming you did YUMI correctly (and that it worked), what you have is a live USB with persistence (not part of Mint) and your files are on the drive.

As for the password thing, that's a setting which locks the computer when the screensaver starts. I infer you're using XFCE, as neither Cinnamon nor MATE still lock in a live session (all three did in 18.1). In XFCE 18.3, you'll find the lock setting under Settings: Power Manager: Security
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Post by all41 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:38 am

Hi @marks18789,
Firstly welcome here to the Mint forums.
Tell about your Yumi stick--what all is on there?
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:08 am

marks18789 wrote:
Very disappointed about this kind of trivial bug is skipped by Linux QA or I don't see a good logic behind it, if it's not a bug. The work is locked for several days without any way to access it.
I do agree with you in as much as the lock screen could do with being deactivated by default in the live session, but some of the blame really does lie on your shoulders as I find it odd that you would stick a live disc in and begin important work without installing and assessing the system. The live session is really meant for assessing Mint prior to install, not as a full OS; now that said some do use it as their daily driver but really that's just a bonus and the onus is on them to understand the limitations. If you want to use the live session full time, there may be other distros better geared to that.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 am

marks18789 wrote:
Hello,
Moem wrote:
I installed it using the "Yumi", it creates multiple OS installations an USB flash drive. Nothing like that happened with 18.1. I am using it live, I believe.
Did you go through the installer, where it asks you to give your location and create your username and password? From your previous information, looks like no. That means what you have there is not an installation; you have multiple bootable OSses, and they can be booted and then run 'live', but none of them are installed.

Since you did not install Mint, the installer could not have warned you that running 'live' is different from running an installed OS. Maybe the Yumi homepage could have given a warning.

Can you access the files when the USB drive is in another computer?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

marks18789
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marks18789 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:44 am

Sounds like Linux isn't a good fit for you. It requires the user to do the work figuring out how different tools fit together, often with very little documentation and always no warranties. In any event, the people here are merely users like you. Scolding us because you're frustrated is not only pointless but rude.
I don't find anything rude when pointing that Linux QA overlooked such a trivial issue. What kind of reaction do you expect from people in this case? In fact, it's very nasty to do such thing to people - to lock computer with unknown user id and password, so that they would loose all their work. I feel like someone did a bad joke on me. Seriously.
Yes, and it's not a good fit not just for me, but for most people - why to use OS, which have little documentation and no warranties? Why then do I need such a soft? If you do want to make it popular - do a good job, without finding some strange excuses, like I you've said. What about saying me "thank you" for finding this issue? :))
Firstly welcome here to the Mint forums.
Tell about your Yumi stick--what all is on there?
Hi, thank you! I have 3 OS installed:
1. Linux Mint 17.3 cinnamon-32bit
2. Debian-live-9.3.0-i386-lxde
3. Linux Mint 18.3 xfce-32bit
some of the blame really does lie on your shoulders as I find it odd that you would stick a live disc in and begin important work without installing and assessing the system.
There is always something can happen and always there is a room for discussion with something like "you could do <this> to avoid it". I didn't do anything complex in order to avoid the problem and do extra precautions. I wanted to use it only for a couple of times and couldn't expect how bad it could be, simply because I've never had a problem with other versions. Probably I had to make a search: "will linux mint 18.3 lock my scree with unknown user id and password?". Sounds stupid, is it? :)

Did you go through the installer, where it asks you to give your location and create your username and password?
It did ask me for a location of USB drive and it renamed it to "MULTIBOOT". I was not asked for a password and user id. I did it many times. I find very convenient to have multiple OS on a USB drive.
I tried to start it on a different computer, same thing. Which files? I definalty can acces the files, but I don't see the files, which were saved on my desktop as well as any other loations. I did a search by some words, which were in my files and system can't find them.
There is folder "Multiboot" and there are folders with installed OS names. When I do to "linuxmint-18.3-xfce-32bit" there is only a foler "YUMI".

Sounds like entering "mint" as a user id and hitting "enter" on password might be close to problem resolution. Because it doesn't say that it's incorrect, it seems like trying to log me in, hangs for couple of secs, but kicks me back to login without any message. Very strange.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:51 am

marks18789 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:44 am
I tried to start it on a different computer, same thing. Which files? I definalty can acces the files, but I don't see the files, which were saved on my desktop as well as any other loations. I did a search by some words, which were in my files and system can't find them.
I did not mean 'can you boot another computer from it'. I meant 'can you use it as a storage drive when you stick it into another computer that is already running'.

You really can't blame Mint for things that go wrong when you are not using the OS as intended. It's meant to be installed, and you didn't do that. The 'live' Mint that you've been using is meant for testing purposes and for installation, not to be used permanently.

The fact that the screensaver locks the 'live' version of 18.3 XFCE is a bug, that is true. But if you'd 'fix' that by setting the screensaver to never lock, you would still be running a highly insecure OS and since you are apparently working with files that are important to you, that is not a good idea.

Your Yumi stick is an installation tool. None of your OSses are installed. They are not intended to be used permanently from your USBdrive.

Faust
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Faust » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:35 am

The OP seems confused on some key points .

Running live on USB , persistence , and running a fully installed system .
It is possible to do a full install to a different USB drive , but it's not a good plan .

@Moem has pointed out some of these vital differences.

Running a live system on USB , long term is a very bad idea , for these reasons :-

1] very little security ; anyone who can get their hands on that USB stick has full access to the system(s) on it .
2] The live OS will have pitiful performance ; everything will be limited by the speed of USB ( which is WAY slower than SATA )
3] The USB device is sentenced to eternal " hard-labor" , and it's lifetime will be shortened .
4] The live system can't be updated without a high risk of borking the whole thing .

The above does not apply to all distros ; some load directly from USB into RAM , and run entirely from there ,
so there's virtually zero USB traffic .
Example : Puppy Linux works just fine from a USB ( as small as 250 MB ! ) , and will still save your session !

Using YUMI :
It is for writing ( or " burning " ) an ISO to a USB device ; it does not " install "anything .
It will offer to create a persistent file ( casper-rw ) for distros that are Ubuntu forks ,
but the user has to specify the size before writing to the USB stick , and IIRC the default size is zero ( ie. no persistence )
Also , by default , it will change the USB device label to "MULTIBOOT" , so no surprises there ....

I know this doesn't address the password / login issue , but as others have pointed out , the problem lies with the way Mint is being used here .
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

pbear
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pbear » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:20 pm

marks18789 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:44 am
... it's not a good fit not just for me, but for most people
That's correct. Most people want Linux to be like Windows and Linux isn't Windows.

Funny thing is that I answered your question but you're too busy bellyaching to notice.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:47 pm

marks18789 wrote:
What files? Where did they come from and where did you put them?
Why not to warn a user about that it's unsafe during the installation?
You mean like this?
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php -> "Read the Linux Mint User Guide" -->
https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php -> English ->
The live session is similar to a normal session (i.e. to Linux Mint once it is permanently installed on the computer), but with the following exceptions:

The Live session is slower (it is loaded from a USB stick or DVD as opposed to a SSD or HDD).
Changes you make in the live session are not permanent. They are not written to the USB stick (or DVD) and they do not impact the system installed by the installer.
Some applications work differently (or not at all) in the live session (Timeshift, Flatpak, Update Manager, Welcome Screen..etc.).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Return to “Newbie Questions”